Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jointed Rail F7 reskin help.  (Read 74630 times)

Offline s-driver

• Fixing your own mistakes means job security.
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Hacking up hairballs since 1965.
Jointed Rail F7 reskin help.
« on: January 29, 2009, 03:27:49 PM »
This thread is for any questions, problems, helpful hints and tips in regards to re skinning this wonderful and much needed rework of the built-in F7 Justin did. I'll be adding more as I get pics and descriptions (and corrections to my descriptions ;)) as I find them.

You can get the reskin kit for this F7A/B at JointedRail.com

Grab irons and steps.

The grab irons and step  for the F7A use the texture named "f7_sfred_c" .I color coded this so you can see better what part goes were. The question marks are for the ones I couldn't figure out yet.

image 1147x986

Mapping issues

This area has some mapping issues that can be worked around or have been fixed. On the Southern F7A and the Santa Fe F7A there is a mapping issue on the front corner on both sides of the cab. (areas circled in red)

The area above the side window is mapped on the lower part of the corner post. This has been corrected on the Great Northern F7A. I'll update this when it's corrected on the others.

There is a funny mapping issue at the base of the corner post as seen in this next pic.

This area has NOT been fixed and is likely never to be on this model. It's advisable not to place a change in color in this spot due to the way it smears the image due to the mapping. If you move the change in color towards the front or back some it will clear this area and look better like in the next pic.

The Mars light on the Santa Fe F7A works by pressing the 1 button on the key pad of your computer key board. This does NOT work in TRS2004. I know it works in TS2009. I haven't tried it in any other version of Trainz.

The Great Northern F7A does NOT have a Mars light. It's just another head light.

F7B grab irons and steps.

The steps and grabs  on the Great Northern F7B are on the texture named "f7b_sfred_b".

image 1024x789

The lower steps by the bogies are mapped to opposite corners. (also it's 2 spots on the texture for each step) The grabs and portals are mapped strait across from each other. Just keep that in mind if you want different color steps.

If anyone wants to include some help and hints go ahead and post it. I'll add it to this first post as we go. More help to come.

Bill
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:18:28 PM by knifeswitch1 »

Offline jadebullet

• Dispatcher
Re: Jointd Rail F7 reskin help.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:33:08 PM »
Thank you for this, Bill. It is really helpful, and saves me the time of testing them myself.

Offline NS_37

• JointedRail Artist
  • Global Administrator
  • Dispatcher
  • This is personal
    • JointedRailProductions
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 05:29:52 PM »
keep in mind that i dont usually get to fix these problems until i encounter them. i have made a few more changes, that were on the GN unit, with the grab irons. you can pretty much paint them individually now. things like the square over the cab window went unnoticed until i had to paint the nose a different color, and i found stray polygons down there. the model if full of things like this. i still cant find the problem on the nose like the sp unit shows. anything i draw there seems to come out how i imagined it would. i know its a sharp angle becuase its mapped almost perpendicular to the face, but i dont seem to have any trouble drawing through it.

eidt: i have updated the blank textures at jointedrail.com to have the wireframe of the model projected onto them. this should be a big help for people unlike myself who can look at it in 3ds.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:41:59 PM by NS_37 »

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 06:03:30 PM »
That's why I decided to start this thread instead of cluttering up the other threads. You have mod access so feel free to update the first post with new and updated info if you want.

Thank you for updating the blanks Justin.

Bill
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:27:35 PM by s-driver »

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 06:50:58 PM »
That mapping overlay is very helpful. Thanks again Justin I just found something that can cause a problem in some skins. It already did in the Black Widow scheme I did. The red in the side window frame.

I figured out it was around the bottom edge of the left side of the shell. This just confirmed it.

If you have 1 pixel below that bottom seam it spreads onto the side of the cab. Was very obvious being red on a black background. Kinda looked like a big juicy bug went splat their. :D

Bill

Offline jadebullet

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 08:01:24 PM »
I have a question. How do I change the color of the numbers that appear on the number board. I want to change them to black.

Thanks.

Offline titaniclover

• Trainmaster
  • I'm Nobody. Nobody is perfect. I'm perfect.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 08:13:40 PM »

Can anyone explain why I can see where one part of the skin ends and the other begins??
Anyway to fix this? Thanks

Cheers,
Adam
:yay: :boomboomboom: :yay:
GOING, Going, gone...

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 08:20:45 PM »
In order to do that you'll have to redo all the number textures in the "mesh_alpha_numbers" folder inside the main file for the loco. Make sure they retain the same name and same size they are already and that they are saved as a 32 bit .tga image. I haven't messed with that yet so I'm not sure if there is anything else that needs to be done.

Bill

Offline NS_37

• JointedRail Artist
  • Global Administrator
  • Dispatcher
  • This is personal
    • JointedRailProductions
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 08:51:26 PM »

Can anyone explain why I can see where one part of the skin ends and the other begins??
Anyway to fix this? Thanks

Cheers,
Adam

i suppose its going to be up to you to blend the weathering correctly between map seams. thats what proper texturing is all about.

Bill i fixed that stray on the model now. as well as another i found. silly auran.

edit:

i updated the meshes on the downloadable ones at the site, you might want to dl the ATSF unit again if you want to have the red light working when an emergency application happens.

also i have put up no running number meshes for single unit skinning. get those here http://www.jointedrail.com/content/No_Arn_body.rar
these are only the .im files for the locomotive. they include what i have found and fixed to date.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:08:17 PM by NS_37 »

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 09:20:56 PM »
That's were the challenge comes in Adam. When the joint in the mapping meets like that and the area on the texture the mesh is mapped to is in 2 different spot on the texture, or worse yet on a different texture, it becomes more of a job to blend it like Justing said. It's not so bad when the same color crosses over or you use that as the place to change colors. It will be most evident with weathering were the shading isn't consistent. It can be done but it will take time for you to get it looking right.

Like you said Justin. You don't see those spots until the re skins start. That's why I never released my V1 of my snoot and why I'm doing some reworking on V2. Fixing mapping and texture errors. ;)

Bill

Offline TasteOfIrony

• Trainmaster
  • I'm not your friend budday
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 03:07:17 AM »
Is there anyway to get rid of the letters that show up in the number board?
Guilty by Association

Offline tommyg

• Road Foreman
  • The Australian
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 03:44:48 AM »
Need to disable the ARN in the config ;)

Tom :)

Offline DelmarvaFan

• Dispatcher
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 12:17:11 PM »
That interesting that is how I learn now but I need to practice with gmax first then next reskinned so I need to more a improve by myself but I can't made build locomotives because I never have to experience yet so I would will just take practice basic with box and brick as well. ;)

NS Delmarva Secondary Branch fans

Offline TasteOfIrony

• Trainmaster
  • I'm not your friend budday
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 02:23:50 AM »
I dont suppose there's any tips on getting horizontal stripes to line up first try is there?
Guilty by Association

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 01:32:02 PM »
Not really.  It all comes down to luck. When I was skinning the WP ones I noticed the stripe didn't match were I thought it would.  One of two things could help.  If your using a image editing program that you can work with layers is the best.  Then you just edit that layer without disturbing anything else then re save.  The other way would be to work with your stripe only on the end were the mapping goes from one image to another until you have everything lined up then finish your stripe across the side.

Bill