Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Something happened to my railroad in the basement  (Read 6860 times)

Offline The Vezman

• That One PR Guy
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • I come from a land down undah...
Re: Something happened to my railroad in the basement
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 07:24:49 PM »
How can just a section bust off? Was your frame properly assembled like this?

Where you would have 2 unified braces parallel to each other, with studs going throughout to provide surface support. This is similar to how most wall frames in houses are built.

Perhaps if you could provide us with some pictures, it would make it easier to determine the initial structural integrity of the table.

Hardhat

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 08:36:44 PM »
I do not have a camera at the moment, it is being repaired  :-\

Offline The Vezman

• That One PR Guy
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 10:23:55 PM »
Ok... Well does the frame diagram that I posted, look like the one you set up? With all the black and red lines on your drawing, it's hard to tell how everything is joined together, and where.

Hardhat

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 08:02:28 AM »
not exactly, a 2x4 is only 12 feet long, so then i had to make the 2x4 down to 8 1/2 feet. and i built that part like your drawling. then i had to build another section that was 4 1/2 section and join those two together and that's where it broke. Now that i have learend in my carpentry class never put nail in straight allways put them on an angle because the wood has water in it and it will bind in and out. by putting them on an angle the wood will tighten up and will nor move very often.

Offline The Vezman

• That One PR Guy
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 05:28:58 PM »
It's not only that, but there should be some sort of brace installed between the two pieces. And use deck screws, I'll keep recommending them until the day I die. They're meant to withstand good amounts of weight, and protect against rusting and degrading, because well they're made for decks.