Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: EK T(h)ree  (Read 118570 times)

matruck

Re: EK T(h)ree
« Reply #435 on: March 04, 2011, 06:00:32 AM »
Nice shots Mick - what sky is that?
Fairly sure Andy the sky is PG Sky Levendel by Sura available here at STR http://www.spaintrainzrutas.com/fmaenv.html It's in the FMA Sky Pack 3 but i grabbed them all been the greedy dude i am LOL.
Cheers Mick. :cheers:

Offline n8phu

• Dispatcher
  • Purveyor of the Forgotten
    • The Erecting Hall
« Reply #436 on: March 11, 2011, 08:56:42 PM »

What's all this fuss about Gevos?

Granpa will rise up and give em a whuppin.......
Chris N8PHU

"Oh s**t, I did it just like you told me to....."

Purveyor of the forgotten.

Offline Dermmy

• Dispatcher
  • If it ain't broke N3V haven't fixed it yet...
    • Checkrail
EK3-ST
« Reply #437 on: May 05, 2011, 08:20:03 AM »
Ooh - back in the EK3 thread - what gives?

Well this is gonna thrill exactly half the people and totally piss the other half off (which should work out even on my karma lol) but EK3 is getting re-released with speed trees.  Soon.

As most of you might know Pofig has reworked the route with his 3D trees and has now passed the 'converted' route back to me for some more work.  Expect essentially the same route (no new track) but in addition to speedtrees there will be spline grass trackside, some hi res ground textures trackside and about a hundred little tweaks I've noticed since EK3 was released.  There is a fair bit of new stuff from Pofig in trees and shrubs.  I'm pretty excited about it, the thing fairly flies in TS2010.  I am getting 30+ fps on my old rig on a test section with hi-poly locos.  Just to  upset even more people it will probably be moved to TS12 as soon as I can get the new version working.  I have it installed but Disk1 has a scratch you could park your car in which crashes the install half way thru the content ja's.   The code is in and everything works, but the content is all over the place.  Needless to say the JR stuff is all in 12d.ja or later cause I have the first three in but it is all European and Chinese stuff.  HelpDesk will doubtless do something 'in the fullness of time'.

Of course if EK3 goes into 12 then EK4 as a TS10 'compatibility' route with billboard trees is dead.  It will also have to be done the 'new' way...

In the mean time here's the first screenie from the (unfinished) test section in 10...

Andy :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 12:07:09 PM by Dermmy »

Offline gfisher

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #438 on: May 05, 2011, 11:40:47 AM »
Dermmy's gone over to the dark side..............<sigh>

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline GEV0SPAMMER

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • GOD DAMN GEVOS
« Reply #439 on: May 05, 2011, 05:27:41 PM »
Count me in the thrilled camp, pofigs version was very good for just using the replace feature, this will be even better with a proper reworking. While upgrading do you think you could upgrade some of the ground textures, that rock face and some of the grass just looks outdated in comparison to the new foliage.
+1 from me to offset Georges -1  :clap:
Apathetic half ass member of USLW
Founder of the porta-potty project :p

Offline Dermmy

• Dispatcher
    • Checkrail
« Reply #440 on: May 05, 2011, 06:17:49 PM »
... While upgrading do you think you could upgrade some of the ground textures...

Already on the list.  I have been bitten by the GroundTexture bug and have made dozens of the things for Clovis and now doing 'greener' ones for Kentucky :)

... +1 from me to offset Georges -1

LOL - thanks Nikos!  George is a decent sort of a bloke, he contained his disappointment without resorting to the 'smite' button!

Just for the record I sincerely believe that a well made billboard tree has more visual appeal than any 3D tree made to date.  But the performance in Native Mode is just so far ahead of 'Compatibility' that the visual appeal takes second place.  Honest to God I never thought I would say that!  In 'Native Mode' EK3-ST runs significantly higher fps than EK3 did in Comp Mode.  That includes: trackside spline grasses (three or four wide ones plus narrow 'highlight' splines); Hi Res ground textures trackside (Clovis 3 has hi-res horizon to horizon and runs like a dream); road traffic toggled 'On' for the first time in my Trainz career (the 10 traffic looks terrible, is 12 any better?); ATLS working on grade crossings with hi-poly BNSF50 'furniture'; JR locos on everything (previously had to resort to lo-poly stuff for multiple trains); and more if I thought it through.  All that and still better fps and so smooooooooth!

IMHO Native Mode is worth the tree compromise.  Or at least I convince myself that it is right up till I unexpectedly see a screenshot of EK3, when I think Ahhh- if only....

Andy :)

Offline s-driver

• Fixing your own mistakes means job security.
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Hacking up hairballs since 1965.
« Reply #441 on: May 05, 2011, 11:50:15 PM »
I was going to put EK3 into TS12 but I think I'll wait a bit.  Especially now that most of my free time should be back in about 3 to 4 weeks. ;)  I'm really liking the way the changes are making the route look Andy. :cheers:

Bill

Offline Dermmy

• Dispatcher
    • Checkrail
« Reply #442 on: May 12, 2011, 03:47:11 AM »
Dermmy's gone over to the dark side..............<sigh>

Nope, I still walk in the light lol

I tried.  I swear I tried.  I love the performance gains available through the use of all the bright shining new technology and thought I could live with the visual compromise.

I can't. 

For me Trainz is primarily a visual experience, I attempt to create something that looks vaguely like the real world.  My greatest joy is a screenshot that looks 'Real'.  After just a few days working in a route populated by speedtrees - and imho Pofig's are by far the best speed trees to date - I just can't stand it any more.  I stuck TS10 back into Comp Mode and fired up EK4 and sorry guys, but IMHO that's how a Trainz route should look.  I truly wish I had never taken the thing out of 04, because built in 04 the route had a pretty fair number of Trainzers who could use it, but as it stands there is so much work done in 10 that there is simply no going back.

So where does that leave East Kentucky?  I honestly don't know.  If I build it in TS2010 SP3 Comp Mode it has a target audience of just those few with 10SP3 and 09SP4.  Is it worth it?  Dunno.  And add to that the frustration of seeing the results of N3V's bastardization of Trunda's trees inflicted on folks who try the route in 12.  That move was utter total visual vandalism.

So at least for the moment (and I expect for ever) no more East Kentucky in Trainz apart from Pofigs 'Replace Asset' version which will be out 'soon'.

Where does that leave me?  Dunno again, although I promise this is not a flouncing prima donna I'm outa here post.  I love route building in Trainz.  I have spent 90% of my leisure time for the last 6 years on this sim.  There is not one single other 'game' on my computer.  I'm not going anywhere.  I'm just honestly not sure what I will be doing.  Clovis 3 will probably be the one to watch.  Yes it has 3D 'trees' but most of 'em are shrubs and I can just about live with that.  I think!

Introspective rant over...

Andy ???

Offline hminky

• Conductor
« Reply #443 on: May 12, 2011, 10:21:21 AM »
I love Trainz because it has 1870's trains, but TS12 and Speedtrees have sent me back to my old Steam TS09.

Speedtrees look awful in a situation that isn't deep mountain valleys or one "baseboard" wide flatlands. The LOD's send them to "mush".

Fortunately the "old" TS09 on Steam is TS10 without a distance limiter. They patched it up and now it is TS09 SP4 with the distance limiter, guess ya gotta sell TS12.
The Carson Car Shops stub switches were also broke in the patch so TS12 was a no go anyway.

My Ozark Air Line runs faster on Steam TS09 than TS12 anyway.

And EK3 looks better with Billboards

Thanks Andy

Happy with Trainz
Harold

Offline GEV0SPAMMER

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • GOD DAMN GEVOS
« Reply #444 on: May 12, 2011, 11:19:37 AM »
Oh well was looking forward to EK4, but I guess to each to his own. I will agree that it was an idiotic move to autoreplace the Trunda trees, I had to go in and clone all the trees and replace all the trunda trees with my own kuid before moving my routes to TS12 which was annoying, the trees IMHO still have life left in them in TS12. Personally I dont find it to be a one or the other thing, once the alphas have been corrected I've been quite happily using speedtrees and alpha trees side by side in TS10/12, usually keeping the speedtrees upfront but the billboard trees do a better job of filling the background. Most if not all of the grass and shrub assets look fine too including trunda's.
In regards to continuing, someone has a "updated" version of all of trunda's trees and shrubs on the DLS (I say that in quotes because they didnt fix the alpha issues just did some config changes) Ill be interested to see what you do in the future in any regard.

Offline hminky

• Conductor
« Reply #445 on: May 12, 2011, 02:17:32 PM »
The pofig "EK3" tree pack doesn't have the LOD problem:

Harold

Offline Dermmy

• Dispatcher
    • Checkrail
« Reply #446 on: May 20, 2011, 05:25:58 AM »
I'm like a moth round a candle flame with these damned bloody SpeedTrees.  I don't like 'em, I know I'm gonna get burned, but I just keep coming back and circling round and round.  I can see the potential, I can see how they are supposed to look, but they ain't there yet.

Can't leave them alone though...

Andy  :rolleyes:

Offline Backyard

• Road Foreman
Obsessed...
« Reply #447 on: May 20, 2011, 06:08:16 AM »
 O0 Dermmy, SpeedTrees are working well in sims that don't obsess over the change...

Just ignore them, because they were supplied by the original game production, they will suffer updates to what is appropriate to this particular application.

They were also designed to present seasons, and that's something not previously offered.

Taking a map that has SpeedTree product added post-release, just config the new content the way you wish & re-release the map.. :cheers:
...'don't be a'hatin'...

Offline Dermmy

• Dispatcher
    • Checkrail
« Reply #448 on: May 20, 2011, 06:51:58 AM »
'Obsessed' - That just about sums it up.  It ain't healthy!

:)

Offline GEV0SPAMMER

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • GOD DAMN GEVOS
« Reply #449 on: May 20, 2011, 08:23:17 PM »
Im still digging it Andy  :)
Why does it have to be one or the other though? In my routes the speedtrees and alpha trees somewhat get along, alpha trees for background and speedlytrees for foreground. Ive found that some of Jan's trees are not as adversely affected by the alpha trees as bad as Trunda's, though I still use those extensively as well, going through the pains to clone and replace each one on my routes so they didnt get autoreplaced (forgot a few of the shrubs though which turned into god knows what......)