Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Carolina & North Western  (Read 2574 times)

Offline bobbyisaac

• Conductor
    • Zoom World
Carolina & North Western
« on: February 20, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
I've been looking for sometime for the railroad that actually setup in my small town of Lenoir,NC and i came across this.

http://www.tarheelpress.com/CNW1.html

It is parts of a book that i think i will have to order now.

Offline SR6900

• Road Foreman
Re: Carolina & North Western
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 07:13:17 PM »
Ah, the good ol' C&NW. The source of Southern's only RS11 (which was ironically sold to the other C&NW). That's a pretty good look at some former and future Southern equipment.
Southern Railway, Serves The South

Offline bobbyisaac

• Conductor
    • Zoom World
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 01:33:35 AM »
It's very sad at times driving around my town. There where a many great factories built here that you can cleary see where built around the rail lines laid here. Most all of the rail in town is just about gone but some exsists. Google kille the other active part and forced the Caldwell County Railroad ( with ex SCL/L&N Equipment ) to build a small five holding area for railcars. One of the features of this former line that i see on a daily basis is bridge that i think is quite neat, It looks like it was one a truss style ( i''m not sure so ) but in the middle at the highest point is a steel section. It's almost as if the steel section was kinda plopped in. All in all it looks to be in very good condition both wood and steel.

Offline saxrt1

• Road Foreman
  • Custom Route Creator-Officially Licensed by CSX
    • Southern Atlantic Transportation
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 06:22:30 AM »
I used to live in Hickory,NC where C&NW (now Cauldwell County RailRoad) interchanges with the Southern. Let me give you some insight to the C&NW in Hickory. At the terminal (now nothing more than a building of wooden construction) There is a wye. Last time I was up there it was still in place. Also if the property hasn't been fenced off, is the old slide transfer table at this site. The Hickory terminal used to be a major facility. One of the two EX-SCL,is kept at Hickory,while the other is parked behind the owners house down the track.

Two good sources are the Hickory Public Library. They have loads of info on the line, right down to track charts.
Another source is David Bumgarner. You should be able locate him through either the Hickory Press (Hickory News paper) of the hobby shop in Hickory,(Carolina fishing). David also put out a book titled ALEXANDER RAILROAD. I got my copy from the railroads office in Taylorsville. So they may be of help in finding David also. I used to know him rather well, and I can tell you that he is rather nice.
Hope this helps.

Licensed by CSX Transportation

Offline bobbyisaac

• Conductor
    • Zoom World
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 01:08:05 PM »
Thank you for the information, i hadn't a clue at all. Most of the line that goes through parts of the downtown area are all but gone now.