Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My Model Layout Room PLan.  (Read 7976 times)

Offline dylanviey

• Trainmaster
Re: My Model Layout Room PLan.
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 11:45:31 PM »
For the lift bridges i can't really help but have them due to the size of the room. if the room was wider (say 12 - 15ft instead of 9ft) i could completely remove them. and i know how to fix those problems you mentioned. i got the proper tools. And trust me i don't like duck unders as much as i like lift bridges. I think they look ugly no matter how you make them. if i could remove them i would. Hell once this house becomes mine i already have a plan to modify this plan to extent threw my whole basement with multiple towns and multiple yards.

As for the loops. Sometimes i get in to a mood where i just want to throw a couple trains together and just watch them go around and around but most of the time i prefer doing switching duty' in the yards or on some industry spur.

As for the industry's I'm defiantly going to have a power plant and the coal mine. I'm trying to find places to shove in a few more industry's. I know one will be a cement plant but i don't' know where yet.

As for grades I'm not planing on having more then a 2% grade. I layered the bridges wrong on the right hand ride so it looks like there are steeper grades then need be. Also my 2 powers proto 2000 LV FA units and the 2 underpowered ones pulled a 40 car train up the 3% grade on my club's layout so they should handle the 2% grades and I'm probably not going to have more then 20 cars per train anyway.

As for staging I've been working on fitting that in for the past 4 hours. I'm having it branch off of the main line up at the top in the tunnel and continue under the layout unseen to under the train yard.

Thanks for your opinions  :thumbsup:

^ i play trainz a little to much. lol

Offline s-driver

• Fixing your own mistakes means job security.
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Hacking up hairballs since 1965.
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 12:16:34 AM »
What scale are you going with Daylan.  When I was still living at my parents house many years back I came up with a way to make my lift bridges were they give almost no problems.  I had 3 lift bridges on my layout. (HO scale)  One single track, one double track and one triple track.  Of the 12 track joints only 2 were strait.  If I remember correctly the tightest curve entering the lift bridge was a 24 inch radius.  I'll have to double check that the next time I'm at my folks house.  I use to run 80 car trains over those joints on a regular basis without problems.  I'll get some pics next time I'm there if you want to see what I did.

Bill

Offline dylanviey

• Trainmaster
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 01:12:28 AM »
I'm doing HO scale also.

I Just finished my 2en version of the room plan.

>View Here<

i just got an idea to make the top part look less "spaghetti" ish with the track. but i wanted to bookmark this version as an option.

Offline VGN903

• Trainmaster
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 01:22:56 AM »
New setup is looking good. I have always found that the BIGGEST part of a model railroad is the work before the layout. coming up with where it is located and if it is prototypical or fantasy or mixture of both. Every successful layout has a good deal of info for it. As in why was is built? Who were the major players in building this line. What did they want to do with it. How did the economy and population affect the road and how did the road affect the economy and population. Come up with several major players in the route. Owner(s), neighbors, business owners, hobo's, long time employees and then flesh out their stories. It really helps with the model making if you have this all fleshed out beforehand. Good luck and have fun.

Mike

Offline dylanviey

• Trainmaster
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 03:03:47 AM »
ok i finished the final plan (i hope) for the final design of the main lines.

>View Here<

The only thing I'm having trouble with is planing the engine service facility. anyone got and suggestions for fitting one of those in such a tight space? I have a feeling I'm going to need to move the work bench someplace else in order to fit it in. i have 1 15in (90ft?) turntable that i would like to fit in. I scored it for 5$ ($10 including shipping) off of Ebay so i want to use it. I also have a 2 bay engine shed that my grampa gave me that i would like to figure out a location for also.