Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SD-40X Drawing  (Read 8545 times)

Offline s-driver

• Fixing your own mistakes means job security.
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Hacking up hairballs since 1965.
Re: SD-40X Drawing
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 11:17:53 AM »
Then why the designation "SD45"?

It is not the first actually, the Series EMD 20V567 was released for oil-field power units in the early sixties, however the cooling system needed could not be fit for locomotives....an experimental; SD24 carbody was used to test this...for only about a month, but the extreme jump in horsepower could not be answered on-frame....a fail....

This culminated into the development of the Series 645.

The "winged," radiator hood was created because of this & folks, EMD was one of the first developers of "split-cooling."

If your going to get more than 3000-hp out of a prime-mover, you need to think beyond the EMD Series 16V645 as was the SD40...remember there were only two SD45 demos, made in this time frame of course...you could not run a squirrel through the carbody, but better was envisioned.

That's all true.  However up until your post no one said anything about a SD45.  The only place other than you post the SD45 was mentioned was in the information on the bottom of the pic for the SD40X were it says "...Were built on SD35 Frames and had the Slanted Radiators used later on the SD45 Models.)  I think you might have misinterpreted something.

Bill

Offline Backyard

• Road Foreman
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 10:32:02 PM »
 :(...i did....
...'don't be a'hatin'...

Offline NS_37

• JointedRail Artist
  • Global Administrator
  • Dispatcher
  • This is personal
    • JointedRailProductions
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 01:28:57 AM »
sorry i have to lol at this...

no harm done right?

Offline RiverRun

• Trainmaster
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 01:37:25 AM »
Musta been the slanted radiators.....LOOK OUT, IT'S DARTH VADER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :jawdropping:
~Randy Earle~

Offline s-driver

• Fixing your own mistakes means job security.
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Hacking up hairballs since 1965.
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 10:37:45 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it.  I've screwed up like that so many times I don't have enough fingers and toes to count all of them.  The in the second hour I was awake today...

Bill

Offline Backyard

• Road Foreman
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 03:53:31 AM »
 O0 Well as a Gentleman to Gentlemen, I must apologize.....must have been the Darth Vader radiators...or...something... :headspin:

Actually I was more excited by seeing the Diesel-detailing going on!  I have finished tons of them...in fact I started posting help here & there on the detailing forum you linked to...

I got an e-mail telling me to post pics...or stand-down.  I have few, too few to mention...!(I was running Rail Power Product kit-bashes by '91).

But I know what they meant & totally agree...many "talk" about doing this or that, most never complete a project.

I find most of the stuff I write about is correct...provided I read the title correctly! :hijacked:

Good luck on your project RiverRun!
...'don't be a'hatin'...

Offline RiverRun

• Trainmaster
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 03:03:42 PM »
It's done, all it needs is paint and a few decals. Thanks
~Randy Earle~