Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Layout tips  (Read 3494 times)

Offline NKP

• Conductor
  • I have lost all control of my life
Layout tips
« on: December 31, 2010, 11:43:53 AM »
Today, I decided to start re-making my HO layout. I was wondering if anybody had any helpful tips I could use.

Keith

CSXT17 on the official forums

Offline TasteOfIrony

• Trainmaster
  • I'm not your friend budday
Re: Layout tips
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 07:55:18 PM »
Don't try cramming too much track into your layout. Leave room for scenery.
Guilty by Association

Offline Great_Lakes

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 08:52:15 PM »
If you have anything specific in what you had in mind for your layout, it also might be helpful.  My model railroading club is currently renovating and working on a second layout so we have plenty of experience.  What I don't know, I can ask them and post their response.

Some of things I can tell you in general is that from experience, we recommend using Atlas flex track and Piko switches (longs for mainline especially when operating some of the big rolling stock such as the auto boxes, auto racks, auto maxes etc, mediums for yards and some industries and branch lines, and smalls for certain industries that take short rolling stock like gondolas, tanks, boxes etc.  We also plan out on both paper and on the layout via a pencil and we try not to scenic anything too quickly just in case we need to add a track, remove track or a switch, move an industry etc.

Another thing we use is homosote because with homosote, you can nail down track and such (after you paint the homosote before hand and we usually do brown) and if you don't like where it is, you can lift it up and relay the track and switches with ease.

Confucius say; Man who tries to nail forum members gets ban hammered

Offline 007007

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • do not listen to 007007
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 11:47:17 PM »
Don't try cramming too much track into your layout. Leave room for scenery.

What he said.

[11:09:03 AM | Edited 11:09:12 AM] Justin C: that terrible moment when you can smell your own balls

"Endless SchwimpFest...ate 100 schwimps...ordered extra biscuits..."

Offline ryanstrains

• Official Vaporware Terminator
  • Road Foreman
  • In Dillon we Trust
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 09:08:12 PM »
DO NOT go cheap on track or wiring, and be sure to test everything before you make it look nice!  We dont want ya to pull your hair out when you have your engines derail or loose power all over the place!

Visit Southern Atlantic Industries at http://www.saxrt.com
Quote from: Mike Cyr
[7:35:11 PM] Mike Cyr: hi LOL lets have unprotected sex lol