Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Copyright Myths Debunked  (Read 3491 times)

Offline gfisher

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
Copyright Myths Debunked
« on: January 09, 2007, 05:56:25 PM »
You can find a short but useful article here http://www.llrx.com/features/bloggersbeware.htm

It is worth a read particularly if you are creating Trainz items that show a real logo or name.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Tyler Bishop

Re: Copyright Myths Debunked
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 09:30:03 PM »
mikelj001 should learn this one,

Myth #1: Itís okay to use anything that doesnít have a copyright notice

Not necessarily. This is true only for three types of works: (a) any work of the federal government; (b) any work published before 1923 and (c) any work without a copyright notice published between 1923-1978. Those works are in the public domain, about which more under Myth #2.

It is not okay to use a recent work just because it doesnít have a copyright notice. If the work is recent, it doesnít have to have a copyright notice. No notice is required for works published since 1978; under current law, the copyright attaches to a work as soon as it is set in tangible form. This means that permission is necessary to use anything that is less than 25 years old, whether or not the work carries a copyright notice. So do not (butt)ume you can safely retype a community newsletter and park it on your Website, simply because the newsletter editor did not put in a copyright notice. You are legally on notice that the copyright exists, whether you know or understand that this is the case.

Seeing he thinks he has the copyright to content I created,  Just because it said Mopac (Snopac) on the side LOL

Sourdough

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 10:25:18 PM »
She forgot to list one myth.....
It's OK for lawyers to dispense legal advice as long as they include a disclaimer stating that the legal advice they just dispensed does not constitute legal advice....... 8)

Offline s-driver

• Fixing your own mistakes means job security.
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Hacking up hairballs since 1965.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 02:02:32 AM »
I thought everyone new that. Than again some people don't have I.Q.s higher than the number of cans in a six-pac. :(

Bill

NEWS FLASH..............If this message was important someone might actually read it.

Offline PerRock

• Road Foreman
  • Official #trainz chat killer
    • Amtrak Trainz Group
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 02:29:29 AM »
What I'm not sure about is; does Amtrak's logo fall under a government logo or not?

peter

Quote from: NS_37
and this is our part of the forum... ill post naked jewish midget slamdancing if i want to. :P

Sourdough

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 10:12:46 PM »
What I'm not sure about is; does Amtrak's logo fall under a government logo or not?

peter
No....Amtrak owns the logo....they are subsidized by the gov't, but not owned by the gov't.... 8)