Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 06:17:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
60783 Posts in 3607 Topics by 662 Members Latest Member: - John Most online today: 33 - most online ever: 256 (October 29, 2012, 03:45:15 PM)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Editing JA files  (Read 5266 times)
PerRock
Road Foreman

Official #trainz chat killer

« on: February 09, 2011, 01:13:35 AM »

while not 'kosher' in Auran's books I was digging around in the JA files with a program I have. and attempted to "reskin" some built in stuff. the only issue is that I cannot put the reskins back into the JA files. I was curious if any of you had any suggestions on how to go about this.

peter

Quote from: NS_37
and this is our part of the forum... ill post naked jewish midget slamdancing if i want to. Tongue
NS_37
JointedRail Artist
Chief Executive Officer
Dispatcher

This is personal

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 01:51:37 AM »

long as the file and configs are intact it should work outside of the .ja. i dont think youll be putting them back in.

PerRock
Road Foreman

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 01:57:08 AM »

CMP doesn't allow the commiting of -1 kuids so one cannot re-import stuff back into TRS. And not all of what I was hoping to do has config files (that I can find). If I were to just place the files where would i put them?

peter

and this is our part of the forum... ill post naked jewish midget slamdancing if i want to. Tongue
KiwiRail
TrainzForums Moderator
Dispatcher

Formerly known as Rugrat

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 05:09:01 AM »

lol editing .ja files...

SKIPPY
Tyler Bishop
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 10:33:08 AM »

Just extract the JA wth that gamefile extractor app.. can never think of the name and name the folder the same as the .ja

So world.ja becomes world.  Simply rename the world.ja to world.ja.arch

There ya go.

Easy as pie and up yours auran.
Sparky
Engineer

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 02:26:05 PM »

FWIW.
With TC1&2, I found you could delete the two route JA files, leaving the core and yardmaster, and have a fully working program. All you have are the ground textures, built in industries minus the track for them and portals, which need to be edited for different rolling stock. I also found that for some reason, opening a built in item for edit created a duplicate, even after committing. What I did was copy all the JA files from TRS2006 into TC, opened for edit, recommitted then copied the local files to an external hard drive. You could do that with the editing folder before committing as well. Once I had all that, I deleted the JA files from the game, leaving the core and yardmaster. Import the content from the external and delete what you don't want. Hope any of that made sense. Nice clean install minus all the stuff I don't use.

I also found TS2009 works great deleting the four built in JA files. The only thing I lost was the ability to alter water color. I tried the open for edit, copy somewhere else and commit thing but the errors where too much to correct on import so didn't go any further with it.

Hope any of this makes sense.

Dave.........
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:29:11 PM by Sparky » Logged
PerRock
Road Foreman

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 03:36:42 PM »

thanks guys got it going! Next up is to finish tweaking the snow.

peter

titaniclover
Trainmaster

I'm Nobody. Nobody is perfect. I'm perfect.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 04:12:21 PM »

I feel retarded asking, but what exactly happens when you edit the JA files?  Huh?

YAY!! SEX. YAY!!
GOING, Going, gone...
PerRock
Road Foreman

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 04:24:59 PM »

editing the JA files allows you in essence 'hack the game' the contain a large quantity of built in items that are locked out of your grasp, & other things like particle effects, sounds, error windows, etc.

peter

Therock4710
Jointed Rail Switcher Division
Chief Executive Officer
Dispatcher

PairchimeS

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 05:34:44 PM »

editing the JA files allows you in essence 'hack the game' the contain a large quantity of built in items that are locked out of your grasp, & other things like particle effects, sounds, error windows, etc.
Why these are locked out of our grasp is far beyond me... I don't like the built-in headlight corona, or the wheelslip sounds, or the sun, or a lot of other things.  But unlocking .ja's is nothing new

Train horns.
CR6641
Dispatcher

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 06:19:53 PM »

Got the built in SD70s out of the Ja files thanks to my friend. And started to work on this

- Mike Tierney
Haters gon hate
PerRock
Road Foreman

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 01:23:50 AM »

got a new question for someone who has played around with the JAs more then I (I'll keep looking into this). I've made a new nightsky_stars_b.tga (and an a, but I'll come to that) file put it into game, and now I cannot get the 'a' file to show up at all. I made a new 'a' file, put the old one back in, still won't show up. Checked the old & new 'a' files, the only difference is the total number of colors used. But that doesn't explain the original not working. Suggestions? I'll get a pic up of why this is an issue later.

peter

TrainzForums Moderator
Dispatcher

do not listen to 007007

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 09:59:29 AM »

I'm pretty sure one of the "starlight" files is the headlight texture?Huh?  Just a quick response.  No thought put into it.    Tyler
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:51:45 PM by 007007 » Logged

[11:09:03 AM | Edited 11:09:12 AM] Justin C: that terrible moment when you can smell your own balls

"Endless SchwimpFest...ate 100 schwimps...ordered extra biscuits..."
NS_37
JointedRail Artist
Chief Executive Officer
Dispatcher

This is personal

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 01:26:19 PM »

its something really stupid like that. i remember trying this years ago too.

PerRock
Road Foreman

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 06:28:24 PM »

Not sure how that could cause any problems, as I haven't touched the coronas at all (beyond extracting everything from the JA).

here is the screenshot of the problem as promised:

(click pic for bigger)

peter

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: