Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GE 44 Tonner  (Read 53371 times)

Offline s-driver

• Fixing your own mistakes means job security.
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Hacking up hairballs since 1965.
GE 44 Tonner
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:31:17 PM »
After some searching I found that I had already started a thread for this project but after looking at it I had started it almost 4 years ago and that was how long ago the last post was so I nuked it and started this one. (even for it being one of my own threads it was way to old for me to bump)  When I first started this project it's main intent was to make a 44 toner of better quality than the currant one available for Trainz.  Since then my intent for this cool little loco has changed. As many of you probably know already I'm a volunteer at the Western Railway Museum in Rio Vista Ca.  Currently our museum has 3 44 ton GE locomotives in our inventory.  Visalia Electric 502, Sacramento Northern 146 and Salt Lake, Garfield &Western DS-2. (ex New York, Ontario and Western 105 or 101. records are not clear)
Currently only VE 502 is in operating condition.  The museums intent is to eventually get 146 and DS-2 restored and repaint 502. (it's been some time since 502 was painted and it shows)  First on that list is SN 146 (the museum has other restoration projects in progress and scheduled to start)  My intent on my 44 toner is to complete it, (naturally) and release it as payware.
  As anyone that is acquainted with museums knows the majority of the work done is by the volunteers as is the case with WRM.  However there is still expenses such as cleaning compounds, paints, wood, steal and such that need to purchased.  Also there is the items that our shop is ill equipped to do like rebuilding generators, traction motors, producing replacement cast pieces that are not available anymore.  What my intent is that whatever proceeds are obtained from the sales on my 44 toner, (and all skins done for it) will be donated to Western Railway Museum for the restoration of SN 146.  Once I release my 44 I'll keep a running tally of the dollars donated and start a thread for the progress of the restoration once it starts which might not be in the to distant future.  Any questions and comments are welcome.  Now a couple slow progress renders from the last few years. :D

Bill
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:42:52 PM by s-driver »

Offline jadebullet

• Dispatcher
Re: GE 44 Toner
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:48:28 PM »
Is looking really great Bill. I love the modelled engine.

Offline ConrailOhio 95

• Engineer
Re: GE 44 Toner
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:28:44 PM »
Not to be picky but isn't it spelled tonner, other than that it looks sweet! Good luck with it. :cheers:
Mile post 151 on the CSX Buffalo subdivision.

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
Re: GE 44 Tonner
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:59:47 PM »
Been slowly messing with this.  Had to do a lot of rebuilding on the hood.

Bill

Offline flyinsolo

• Brakeman
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 12:01:24 AM »
I was just reading about these guys today while doing some Frisco research... *cough* *cough*  :poke:

Offline n8phu

• Dispatcher
  • Purveyor of the Forgotten
    • The Erecting Hall
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 12:06:22 AM »
Nice work!

I wonder where you could get a really good engine sound and hornsound recordings from......

Might be a bit of a challenge there....

:D
Chris N8PHU

"Oh s**t, I did it just like you told me to....."

Purveyor of the forgotten.

Offline Backyard

• Road Foreman
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 02:25:34 AM »
  O0 Yes! Love those twin D17000 Cat V8 engines!
...'don't be a'hatin'...

Offline cweis127

• Engineer
  • We Will Deliver
    • FWH Team Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 11:41:09 AM »
Nice work!

I wonder where you could get a really good engine sound and hornsound recordings from......

Might be a bit of a challenge there....

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlWf2M5KK_c I couldn't do the enginesounds. If someone else wants to, this video might work. I could make the horn
The Union Pacific Sedalia Sub, M.P. 249.21 in Pleasant Hill, MO: MY TRACK!

The Union Pacific Railroad: Building America since 1862

Offline n8phu

• Dispatcher
  • Purveyor of the Forgotten
    • The Erecting Hall
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 01:19:57 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlWf2M5KK_c I couldn't do the enginesounds. If someone else wants to, this video might work. I could make the horn

It was a joke... he volunteers at a museum that already has 2 operable 44 tonners......
Chris N8PHU

"Oh s**t, I did it just like you told me to....."

Purveyor of the forgotten.

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 02:23:56 PM »

Thanks, but to make a good engine sound file you need more than what's in that video.  And as Chris pointed out I am a volunteer at a museum that has an operating 44 tonner.  Visalia Electric 502.  (we only have 1 operable 44 tonner Chris.  I'm working on the second. ;) )  I also had overhauled one of the D17000 in 502 about 2 years ago and I'm a qualified operator on 502.  So there is no problem getting all the sounds recordings I want off it I want or need.  Chris was just having a funny moment.  (I have no problem with that)  The only sound I can't get off 502 at a moments notice is the horn sound.  Some years before I started volunteering they had switched out the original Westinghouse A-2's for a Nathan P-3 because, as they said, "it was so damn loud".  We still have the A-2's so it's just a matter of plumbing them up to get my horn sound.

O0 Yes! Love those twin D17000 Cat V8 engines!

I couldn't agree more. :rockon:

Bill

Offline cweis127

• Engineer
  • We Will Deliver
    • FWH Team Productions
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 08:07:58 PM »
I also had overhauled one of the D17000 in 502 about 2 years ago and I'm a qualified operator on 502.  So there is no problem getting all the sounds recordings I want off it I want or need.  Chris was just having a funny moment.  (I have no problem with that)  The only sound I can't get off 502 at a moments notice is the horn sound.  Some years before I started volunteering they had switched out the original Westinghouse A-2's for a Nathan P-3 because, as they said, "it was so damn loud".  We still have the A-2's so it's just a matter of plumbing them up to get my horn sound.

Okay, thats cool
The Union Pacific Sedalia Sub, M.P. 249.21 in Pleasant Hill, MO: MY TRACK!

The Union Pacific Railroad: Building America since 1862

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 01:32:43 AM »
More progress.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 12:04:10 AM »
Thanks Ryan.  I've been so busy at work I haven't had much time for anything but I did get a little more done today. :cheers:

I got tired of looking at those shity wheels so I did something about it.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 08:28:41 PM »
With the exception of the draft gear, couplers and air hoses everything from the deck down has been rebuilt. (some still need adjustments on some parts though and much more added)

Bill