Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 04:28:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
60774 Posts in 3605 Topics by 658 Members Latest Member: - southern4134 Most online today: 34 - most online ever: 256 (October 29, 2012, 03:45:15 PM)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: UMR 2013 (PRR/NEC)  (Read 5686 times)
DJ Reonic
Conductor

« on: June 09, 2012, 10:36:46 PM »

As the title suggests, I'm doing a little (big) project. As most of my recent threads suggest, I am taking the UMR 2013 route ("Lite" version of the UMR TS12 SUMMER route) and making it into a PRR-style electrified route. So far I have quad-tracked the route from the Yard at Smithville up past Eso Flats. I have stopped there to go back and touch up what I've done so far. (Catenaries, bridge fixes, viaducts, track spacing, signals, etc.) I will be uploading some pictures soon, and I will upload more as I go for anyone who may be interested. This is currently for my personal use only, but if enough people decide they like it, then I may talk to the original author(s) about a release. That being said, any advice and/or help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm fairly new in the route-building/modifying/screwing up business.

To give everyone an idea what I'm working with, here's a list of what I'm using to get this done, in terms of in-game assets.

UMR 2013 Summer Multiplayer by neilsmith749

JR Dark Grey track (for the brown-ish look)
gfisher's 4-track catenaries
East Coast Trainz's PRR lighted switches (I made yellow/white ones from the red/white ones to act as yard switches)
any PRR scenery I could get my hands on (mileposts, whistle signs, etc.)
PRR viaducts, bridges and platforms
JR SmartSignals (not accurate, but easy to batch-replace when the PRR signals are released)

To those of you who wish to shoot holes in my idea, feel free, but please remember to clean up after yourself and police your brass once you're done shooting.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:07:16 PM by arenelt90 » Logged
chipallen16
Dispatcher

The Southern Serves the South

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 10:46:12 PM »

It sounds like an awesome job! I say just keep going with it! You never know where it may take you!

-Chip  Smiley
DJ Reonic
Conductor

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:44:34 AM »

Here are a few screens from my current iteration of the route, as well as my previous non-electrified, modern-ish version.

4 coal trains on a split section of the mainline. (old iteration)

Ground-level view of the catenaries at the Smithville Yard. (new iteration)

Lazy man's crossover. Put three of these together and any train can get from any track to any other. Simple, efficient, and I don't really care whether it's realistic or not.

I have since replaced the CLight signals with the Searchlight ones, as they go better with the catenaries and don't look so ridiculous without extra support. Once JR releases the PRR ones  Yarp. then I'll just replace them. I'm currently limited to using the catenaries on the 4-track sections, as there are no PRR-style catenaries for any other track amounts. I'd love to electrify the entire route, yards included, but that would be difficult at the present time. Besides, to my knowledge, nobody has made any super awesome (JR Quality) Electrics that will "make contact" with the PRR Catenaries, so electrifying everything isn't quite necessary yet.
DJ Reonic
Conductor

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 10:05:49 AM »

I ran into an issue with railroad crossings affecting track alignment, so I did this:

Now I can keep trains running at high speed, and with the elevated platforms, I can do stations pretty nicely.

this is a prototype I set up on a test route. I'm using the 4t Viaduct, the elevated platform the Rusty Viaduct catenaries, the PRR signal bridge, and (not seen here) the 4t concrete bridge, all by gfisher. The signals are by JR. The locos should be pretty easy to figure out, as well as the rolling stock.
chipallen16
Dispatcher

The Southern Serves the South

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:30:38 AM »

Wow. I really like the bridge and the way the station "connects" to it!

-Chip  Smiley
DJ Reonic
Conductor

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 02:05:25 PM »

Got some more Pix. Did some work on some stuff, and then decided to do a test run. Here are the shots I took:

PC AutoTrain rolling out of the Smithville Yard area enroute to Grantly

Same Train, 30 Seconds Later

The section of the mainline with proper track spacing. The signal bridge may or may not be replaced with a Signal-bearing Catenary, depending on how the catenary splines behave.

Cab View. Anyone know of any good F-Unit Interiors out there, if there are any? The default one is ok, but I'd love it if there were a replacement somewhere.

Interlocking into Grantly. Here you see the Lighted PRR Mainline Switches (Red/white vs Yellow/White on the yard switches)

Rolling through the new elevated station at Grantly. A PRR Train is loading up at the station. Anyone know of any WORKING invisible platform thingies out there? the AJS ones seen here aren't working out very well. (notice the levitating people)

Isegrinns
Dispatcher

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »

Click on the platforms in surveyor. You can configure them there. Including the height at which the passenger are.
Will be saved into the session.

More light for the thoughts that I dig
More light in the places I stay
More light on the path that I walk
More light 'round the questions that I bear

DJ Reonic
Conductor

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 06:15:19 PM »

Click on the platforms in surveyor. You can configure them there. Including the height at which the passenger are.
Will be saved into the session.

Thanks. I'll try that.
DJ Reonic
Conductor

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 10:44:29 AM »

Anyone able to instruct me in making NEC-style speedboards that will line up with gfisher's PRR wires?

Thanks

DJ
GEV0SPAMMER
TrainzForums Moderator
Dispatcher

GOD DAMN GEVOS

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 11:02:57 AM »

Guess and check until you get the height right, this is assuming you know 3DS, Gmax, sketchup or whatever. Also I think there is some PRR catenary that comes default in TS12 with the NEC.

Apathetic half ass member of USLW
Founder of the porta-potty project :p
DJ Reonic
Conductor

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 11:36:51 AM »

I'm attempting to learn 3ds and gmax at the moment. I just need to figure out how height above ground is determined. (how to set them up so they line up correctly)

Do I offset the speedboard model in gmax/3ds to be a certain height above the 'center' to act as the height offset in trainz?
DJ Reonic
Conductor

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 12:57:34 PM »

So I'm making new speedboards that line up with the PRR wires from gfisher. My only obstacle right now is how to get the textures right. I made a test speedboard of the approximate dimensions of the NEC boards, but I can't figure out how to get any textures to work. Any help?
DJ Reonic
Conductor

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 12:03:49 PM »

So I figured out the issue i was having with gmax. I fixded it.
DJ Reonic
Conductor

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 08:59:02 PM »

Well, even though they line up with the wires now, i need to put them up another foot. That means the 2 hours i spent today making all the speed signs was wasted. ugh...

At least I have 2 8+ hour days of Hew Hire Training at Americare to clear my head.
DJ Reonic
Conductor

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 09:33:11 AM »

So, I made some speed signs that are almost a copy of srr89's NEC Speedboards. These, however, line up with gfisher's PRR catenaries. I just made a new mesh and used the textures from the other speedboards, and voila.

Here's some pictures.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: