Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sacramento Northern 146 Restoration  (Read 39504 times)

Offline s-driver

• Fixing your own mistakes means job security.
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Hacking up hairballs since 1965.
Sacramento Northern 146 Restoration
« on: June 24, 2012, 01:08:11 PM »
I'm starting this thread to show the restoration progress of SN 146 which is owned by the Western Railway Museum in Rio Vista California.  The main purpose of this thread is to show the condition of 146 and the progress being made in it's restoration.  Update posts may be slow in coming depending on other things happening at the museum that I'll be involved in, my regular paying job and life in general that always seams to hinder the fun stuff.   I'll be adding history and other facts to this post as I get the facts verified for some historical information that is questionable and other items of interest in regards to SN 146 and GE 44 tonners in general.  The restoration should span over several years since it's not a top priority project at the museum and I'm basically working on it by myself at the moment and probably for some time to come.

Sacramento Northern 146 is a GE 44 ton locomotive originally purchased by Western Pacific, (the parent company of the SN) which was the last unit of a 5 GE 44 tonner order for the SN and was delivered to the SN in 1946.  I'll add more to this later.

As of November 7 2014 we now have a FACE BOOK page dedicated to this restoration project.  Stop on by and like us if you haven't already.

Here is some pictures of the currant condition of 146 before I started any work.  Comments and observations are welcome.

Bill
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:23:52 PM by s-driver »

Offline 007007

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • do not listen to 007007
Re: Sacramento Northern 146 Restoration
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:49:07 PM »
New toy!   :onfire:

[11:09:03 AM | Edited 11:09:12 AM] Justin C: that terrible moment when you can smell your own balls

"Endless SchwimpFest...ate 100 schwimps...ordered extra biscuits..."

Offline VGN903

• Trainmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »
Very cool idea to post a running thread on your restoration. Thank you for wanting to share this with us. I can't wait for future updates as they come in. Good luck!

Offline n8phu

• Dispatcher
  • Purveyor of the Forgotten
    • The Erecting Hall
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:56:15 PM »
Very nice... it will be cool to see the before and after pics...

Oh, and take a lot of measurements.....  :D
Chris N8PHU

"Oh s**t, I did it just like you told me to....."

Purveyor of the forgotten.

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 11:46:36 PM »
New toy!   :onfire:

Yes indeed. ;)  I'm looking forward to working on this little gem.  The ultimate will be when it's restored and we can run it MUed to VE502 which is another 44 tonner that's MU capable. O0

Yes Chris, I have taken many many measurements already and put them to good use. :smirk:

Bill

Offline 007007

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • do not listen to 007007
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:35:21 AM »
Push/Pull rides for the visitors.   :kablamo:

[11:09:03 AM | Edited 11:09:12 AM] Justin C: that terrible moment when you can smell your own balls

"Endless SchwimpFest...ate 100 schwimps...ordered extra biscuits..."

Offline SantaFebuff

• Brakeman
    • Mid-West Trainz
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 02:02:17 AM »
Kewl as ice.

Even though that thing is like 90 some degrees in the heat.

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 05:31:53 PM »
I changed my mind on what I was going to do to 146 when I got to the museum yesterday when I found it inside the shop instead of outside.  Unless things change I should have 2 to 4 weeks of shop floor time so instead of working on the components in the electrical cabinets I decided to start on the air system under the loco.  At some time in 146's past it had been involved in a derailment that had dented the air tanks and bent air tank mounts and air piping.  Hokey skirting has been removed on the engineer's side along with the air tanks and some air piping.  Now I can get at the piping that is bent so I can replace it and repair the air tank mounts.  Dented air tanks will be replaced also with air tank salvaged from SN145 when it was scrapped.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 03:30:44 PM »
Between last Wednesday and yesterday I made some good headway.  I rebuilt and cleaned both Radiating pipes and scrapped most of the dirt and grim buildup, (unglamorous but important) from the under side of the frame/fuel tank between the trucks.  Turns out that once I cleaned the dirt off the the secondary radiating pipe, (the smaller diameter pipe) not only did I need to replace the bent pipes but the other 2 pipes were wore half way through because the hold down clamps had been loose for many years so they need replacing too

Next step is to heat and straiten the bent brackets for holding the air lines and section the air tank bracket.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 02:22:01 AM »
Between last Saturday, yesterday and today I've made more progress.  More scraping of dirt.  :rolleyes: (last Saturday and it's a long ways from being the last)  Yesterday and today I made a replacement bracket instead of straitening the mangled one that supports the smaller radiating pipe, did a little research in our archives to try and clear up some conflicting information I have obtained, made new "U" bolts to replace the bent ones that supported the #2 air tank, wire wheeled a couple more air lines off and reconditioned the centrifugal dust collector that's between the #2 air tank and the rest of the air system.  That work was interrupted this morning because we needed to move a couple of the other projects around in the shop with VE502.  Forgot to take any pictures.  I'll take care of that next weekend.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 01:38:12 AM »
Well, I forgot to take any pictures again. (guess I need to be fired  ;) )  Over the last couple weekends I reconditioned 2 the main air reservoir cutout cocks.  I couldn't get the original to lap in because of some bad scratches so I had to do the second one.  Wire wheeled the remainder of the air lines I had removed and using a dye grinder with a wire wheel I wire wheeled about 70% of the bottom of the frame/fuel tank between the trucks.  Hopefully in the next 2 or 3 weeks I can start priming and painting some of these items if work don't interfere.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 02:22:42 AM »
Well, I do have an update.  I made slow progress over the last 2 months due to being involved in many other things at the museum.  One thing was to do a rescue operation when our oldest piece at the museum died half way through its run and we needed to delicately tow it back, run 502 on another ballasting run, helped do some emergency repairs on a couple other of our cars especially when we needed to move 146 out of the shop temporarily to do the repairs and of course I took one weekend off to rest.  Also waiting for our steal order to happen so I had the steal to repair the main reservoir mounts.  In the middle of all that I managed to clean and service the main centrifugal dirt collector, clean the remainder of the air line hold downs, cut out the bent sections of the main air reservoir mounts and cut and drill their replacements. (once the steal came in)  Next step if something else don't come up I need to attend to is to weld the new mounts in place.

Air reservoir mounts sectioned out.

Replacement reservoir mounts ready to install.  To the left is the centrifugal dirt collector and main reservoir cut out cock.

Somewhere in their I'll have to start painting some of these parts before I reinstall them.  I can't wait for the rain to start so I'll get some time off work.  Maybe then I'll have more time to work on this. :P

Bill
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:47:37 AM by s-driver »

matruck

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 05:11:31 AM »
Looks like a lot of work there Bill, I don't like the look of all the spider web's in the Cab who had the pleasure of climbing in their amongst all the creepy crawlies..LOL
Cheers Mick. :cheers:

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 01:50:35 PM »
Looks like a lot of work there Bill, I don't like the look of all the spider web's in the Cab who had the pleasure of climbing in their amongst all the creepy crawlies..LOL
Cheers Mick. :cheers:

I took care of the cobwebs the following weekend after I took those pictures armed with a vacuum cleaner.  I had spent the major part of that day vacuuming inside the cab getting rid on the cobwebs, rust particles, dirt, debris, old abandon rodent nests and picking out spare part that was in the mess.  The museum is about 12 miles out side of Vacaville California in open ranch land so getting away from spiders is a lost cause.  All you can do is take a rage to the cobwebs before starting each day or weekend.

There is a lot or work to be done to restore it to the condition we want to see it in and it will take a few years but I'm looking forward to doing this work. :cheers:

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »
Time for another update.  I have made progress over the last month, (slow as it was) in between all the emergency repairs and car movements I was asked or volunteered to assist with.  Managed to get my air tank mounts sectioned in and weld in the new radiating tube mount. (pay no attention to the drippy weld under the air tank mount. It's hard welding upside down when your out of practice)

Just a couple small air line supports I need to weld back in underneath.  With the help of a couple other volunteers we managed to get all the air system parts that have been removed to date primed except the main radiating tube and I need to finish the secondary radiating tube. (I ran out of primer and daylight  :D )

With the exception of the small equalizing air tank, it's "U" clamps and small air line which all need to be grey all the rest of those primed parts should be black and ready to install once I get the last cleaning dun under the loco.  Feels good to actually make notable progress. :cheers:

Bill