Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sacramento Northern 146 Restoration  (Read 39728 times)

Offline s-driver

• Fixing your own mistakes means job security.
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Hacking up hairballs since 1965.
Re: Sacramento Northern 146 Restoration
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 12:36:01 AM »
Making more progress.  All the primed parts are now black.

One cleaned and graphited coupler and one cleaned but not done yet.

Bill

Offline stealthsteam

• Engineer
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 12:45:31 AM »
Anyone want a knuckle sandwich?  I can scrounge up a few pieces of bread to go with my unfinished knuckle there.

matruck

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 02:58:25 AM »
Anyone want a knuckle sandwich?  I can scrounge up a few pieces of bread to go with my unfinished knuckle there.

I wouldn't mind sum knuckle Photo's, You could get sum good texture's off that if ya had a good camera and set it up in sum different position's. Front/Top/Side Etc.
Cheers Mick. :cheers:

Offline 007007

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • do not listen to 007007
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 12:51:52 PM »
FRA might not like the paint on the knuckle!!!   :onfire:  lol It looks good Bill! 

[11:09:03 AM | Edited 11:09:12 AM] Justin C: that terrible moment when you can smell your own balls

"Endless SchwimpFest...ate 100 schwimps...ordered extra biscuits..."

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 11:51:46 PM »
That's actually graphite on the coupler Steve, but still.

I have a good camera Mick but the lighting in our shop is not the best for photography.  It didn't help that I was in a hurry when I took those pics either.

Bill

matruck

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 05:12:00 AM »
No biggie Bill, I just think of sum of the great texture's laying around all our work place's and we all just walk past them day in day out till ya get into 3ds one night and try and find a couple of good pic's of say a coupler only to try and work out where you had seen one laying around that you could of taken pic's off but didn't lol.  I do it every day at constructions site's with all kind's of machinery laying around just begging to be made for our Sim, Great work on the restoration so far Bill give's me a good insight into how these thing's were made.
Cheers Mick. :cheers:

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 01:46:04 AM »
Got rained out at work today so I got more time to work on 146.  Everything that was ready for primer has been primed.

Hopefully tomorrow it will all turn the proper colors for their locations. ;)

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »
It's amazing what can be accomplish when my plans don't get altered. :thumbsup:  Spent all day painting parts.

Next step, start installing parts so I can get a couple of the smaller air line were they need to be so I can weld their support brackets in place. (that's why the underside of the frame is only half painted)

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 05:41:53 PM »
Any time your ready let me know.  Just make sure it's a weekend that it's not raining so operations are happening.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 02:38:25 AM »
Everything blocked of obstructed by the air tanks is now black, all air line supports are all welded in place, the last couple air fittings are installed and painted and the majority of the air lines are back in place.

The next step is to get the air tanks back in place and the last 2 air lines then it will be time to pressurize it to see how many leaks we have. :smirk:

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »
120 psi.  That's what our shop air runs at.  Once I'm done the main reservoir will run approximately 110 psi.  Those tank have been hydro-tested to 180 psi so they should be good.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 04:17:19 AM »
The air tanks and all the air lines I removed are now reinstalled.

I hooked shop air up to it and charged the air system to 115 psi. (not the 120 psi I thought :banhammer:)  Only had a couple air leaks on some unions that I hadn't tightened enough.  I got those taken care of so I opened the main reservoir cutout cock and charged the rest of the air system to see what condition it was in.  I ran all the air equipment through their paces with satisfactory results.  Air system components still need to be serviced and some air line work still needs to be done in other locations.   Needless top say everyone that was in the shop was happy with the results of the first air test. :cheers:

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 03:09:49 AM »
With the help of a couple other volunteers more progress has been made.  More cleaning in the equipment compartment, reworked the main air discharge pipe from the number 1 air compressor, removed the cheesy pilots and I'm in the process of reworking the MU plumbing for the main reservoir and equalizer lines, and serviced both angel cocks for the train line.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 12:52:27 PM »
  Forward progress is still being made.  Between helping on a few other projects I've managed to to get a bunch done. (with help of course)  I've gotten the fuel out of 146's fuel tank.  With the fuel tank empty I was then able to do the repairs to the fuel system below the deck like put the shut off valve I wanted in the suction line at the fuel tank, repair the kinked fuel lines and clean and repair the emergency fuel shutoff which wasn't working at all.

If I would have taken the #2 air tank back out it would have made that work easier but I managed.

We have gotten much scraping, cleaning and painting done in the equipment compartment. This has to be done piecemeal due to accessibility issues.  Most of that compartment won't be cleaned until I get both hoods, prime movers and all 4 generators are removed which won't be fore some time yet. (like when I have the funding to get the generator work done.  I just don't want to disassemble things when I know I'm not in a position to get it back together any time soon.)

I've also been doing a lot of research in our archives and other sources to find a few answers to some questions I've had about some discrepancies in records and in photographs I noticed. (I can really get lost doing research in the archives if I don't watch it  :D ).  It shouldn't be to long and I'll update some info in the first post of this thread once I have all my facts strait.  It's fun finding out all sorts of things I didn't know before. (not that anyone else cares ;))

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 07:18:46 PM »
I've been involved with a lot of other things at the Museum so I haven't been doing much on 146.  But by doing little bits here and their we did get one brake cylinhder completely rebuilt and ready to install.

Bill