Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sacramento Northern 146 Restoration  (Read 39729 times)

Offline KiwiRail

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Formerly known as Rugrat
    • Scale Impaired
Re: Sacramento Northern 146 Restoration
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 02:35:25 AM »
Looking good William!

I'm currently in loco bogies at work, which includes brake cylinders - messy stuff, but one of the more satisfying things to sign off on the check sheet once you are done.

(because they actually trust me to sign off safety critical components for mainline use  :blob:)

Bill  ;)

SKIPPY

Offline s-driver

• Fixing your own mistakes means job security.
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Hacking up hairballs since 1965.
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2013, 02:53:31 AM »
Well, it happened again.  Got involved in many other projects around the museum, (not that I didn't enjoy that too) and only had an hour here and an hour their since March until today when I actually worked on 146 all day.  Over the last month and a half I managed, with a little help, got the end plate grab irons and the air cylinder for the reverser cleaned, primed and painted, cut linkage cleaned, primed and installed.

Then of course today I got the side skirts cut to shape.

Hopefully next weekend if everything goes well I can get most of the bracing and reinforcement welded on at least one of the skirts.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »
Well, it's that time of year at the museum.  Maintenance week.  Our annual FRA required inspections of all our operable equipment.  What that means is shop track 1 needs to be clear for this work.  Of course that is were SN146 has been residing while I've been working on it so it had to be displaced until further notice.  If for some reason things transpire that I can't put 146 back into the shop for a while won't hinder me being able to work on it.  However there is a couple other cars that I need to finish some work on that needed to wait until after maintenance week so my time in the near future to work on 146 may be limited for a while.  There is still a lot of work I can do on it were I don't need it in the shop so as time allows I'll still be working on 146.

Pulling 146 out of the shop in preparation for maintenance week.

Bill

Offline 007007

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • do not listen to 007007
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 11:56:26 AM »
Booooooo FRA

[11:09:03 AM | Edited 11:09:12 AM] Justin C: that terrible moment when you can smell your own balls

"Endless SchwimpFest...ate 100 schwimps...ordered extra biscuits..."

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2013, 02:59:15 AM »
Maintenance week has been and gone.  The only unit that needs it's inspection is VE502. (or running 44 tonner)  The inspection pit was occupied today so I'll take care of that next weekend hopefully.  Nothing major needed attending to for a change.  Didn't get 146 back into the shop but I did get something done.  I got my reverser cylinder reassembled finally. (only been trying to get to it for the last month)

All I need to do is test the solenoid valves to see if they work electrically.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 03:47:07 AM »
Well, the normal has been happening.  I show up at the museum and my plans get changed.  It don't bother me because I enjoy the volunteer work I do.  Even with all the other things I've been helping with I still have made progress on 146.  One feed valve has been serviced, tested and adjusted.  Just need to paint it now. (no picture)  I have gotten the main generator removed from our spare engine in preparation to be sent to the electrical shop to be gone through.

And now for the piece de resistance.  We have just acquired one of the original builders plates for SN 146. :onfire:

We are checking to see if we can get some replicas made to put on the loco once I'm almost done.  A big thanks to the fine gentleman from Oregon that donated it to us.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2013, 02:35:37 AM »
Thought I forgot about this or gave up?  Not a chance.  Just the normal.  Diagnosing and fixing an air brake problems on one of our rail cars, helping out some on some of the other projects happening in the shop, doing a few car moves.  But in the middle of all that I did actually get both feed valves serviced, painted, installed and adjusted on 146.

At this rate maybe I'll be finished in 20 years. :onfire:

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2013, 03:21:44 AM »
We got the main generator and auxiliary generator back from the motor shop.

With so many other thing that need my attention it's been difficult finding the time to work on 146 as much as I want to.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2013, 02:30:29 AM »
Finding time to work on 146 can be difficult.  Because of the recent rain I couldn't finish some grading I was doing because of the mud for a new office trailer at the museum and with nothing else pressing I started making the new end steps for 146.  The first 2 support brackets.

Only 3 more sets to go.  I was also reconditioning a troublesome brake valve for 146 but I haven't finish it yet.

Bill

Offline TrainFreak1994

• Engineer
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2014, 12:37:45 AM »
Is that a GE 44-Ton?

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2014, 10:29:53 AM »
Yes it is.  Built in 1946.  It's 1 of 3 that our museum has.  All 3 are MU capable but only 1 is in runnable condition.

Since I'm here, a small update.  I haven't had much time to work on the 146.  My regular job has been working me into the ground, had to do some repair work to our operating 44 tonner and some repairs to some of our other operating museum pieces and was assisting with our track department over the last 7 months.  I did manage to finish the brake valve for 146 but that was all.  Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it within the next month.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2014, 02:20:37 AM »
Finally an update with some notable progress.  I've been working on 146 with some help from a couple other volunteers over the last 6 weeks or so.  We've gotten the front hood just about to the point we can remove it.  Just the railings, a few wires and 1 rounded off bolt that I know of to go.

The distributing valve, transfer valve and their reservoir have all been removed.  A distributing valve was sent out to a shop back east for servicing. The reservoir has been cleaned up and primed.  While I was at it I also got the brake valve primed after about 4 months.

I'm hoping to get the number 1 engine out within the next few weeks so I can start working on it.  Or at least get it on the floor so I can work on it when I'm ready.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2014, 01:45:01 AM »
The hood is now off. (so is the guy restoring it but we've known that for years)

Now to get the engine ready to pull out.

Bill

Offline stealthsteam

• Engineer
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2014, 06:49:10 PM »
Here is a short video of the hood removal taken by a fellow volunteer helping on this project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iIpB-NSca8o

Brandon
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:42:31 PM by stealthsteam »

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2014, 12:51:01 PM »
Finally got the #1 engine out and on the ground.

I thought we would never get it out.  It was always one thing or another that happened to hinder forward progress over the last month but perseverance prevailed. :clap:  Let the cleaning commence.

Bill