Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sacramento Northern 146 Restoration  (Read 39503 times)

Offline s-driver

• Fixing your own mistakes means job security.
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Hacking up hairballs since 1965.
Re: Sacramento Northern 146 Restoration
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2014, 12:25:46 PM »
Here is a video another volunteer made when we took the #1 engine out last Sunday.

http://youtu.be/bIbi1wrYhmc

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2014, 02:02:35 PM »
Yesterdays grand adventure.  We got the air compressor and auxiliary generator out for the #1 engine.

We are now in a position of doing some serious cleaning, inspection and repairs.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2014, 02:49:28 PM »
Update time.  Over the last month there has been some intensive cleaning going on.  For the most part the equipment compartment has been scraped and cleaned in preparation for inspection, repairs then priming except were the #2 engines main generator and air compressor sit.  Many thanks to the volunteers that have been helping with this tedious but necessary job.

While that work was underway I was working at extracting some twisted off bolt from the #1 hood and deck from under the hood.  Unfortunately there was about 8 bolts that had seamed to become one with the nuts retaining them that were hidden behind the sand box so I removed one sand box.  It isn't pretty.

While cleaning out the wet sand that was between the sand box and hood skin, (I wonder if that might have had a contributing factor to the rust  ;) ) I accidentally poked 2 small holes in the hood because it was rusted so thin.  I guess I have a little more repairs to do to the hood than I originally thought.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
If you haven't seen it on the first post or don't know about it aleady I would like to let everyone know we now have a FACE BOOK page dedicated to this restoration project.  Stop on by and like us if you haven't already.  This thread and the Face Book page will get updated as things progress.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2014, 01:39:21 AM »
We took out the other sand box due to the condition of the first sand box.  It looked better but it still wasn't pretty.

That bent piece of metal on top the sand box is a baffle that was attached to the hood directly over the radiator.  It was all bent up before we started and had made removing the hood a pain because that baffle was catching on the top of the radiator.  I straitened it  and now it looks much better.

Over the last couple days I was in the welding mode.  In the life of this locomotive it has had at least 2 bad derailments.  Due to those sudden drops and stops along with an untold number of ruff couplings there is many cracks on the cab and hoods.  All these need to be fixed before things get primed.  If it's clean steal it's had work don to it.

Bill

Offline gfisher

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2014, 01:25:08 PM »
That last picture looks like you have an alien bug eating your loco.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2014, 03:00:28 PM »
Now that you mention it your right.  Kind of like something that nightmares are made of.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2015, 01:22:20 AM »
I think I have all the repairs done on the inside of the equipment compartment.  There is still more work to do to the center posts between the compartment doors but everything else that is accessible is now getting primed.

Meanwhile, back in the hood, repairs continue.  All the weld nuts with twisted off bolts have been replaced with new ones, all the cracks have been welded, (I think) new flanges for the clean out hatches for the bottom of the sand boxes have been made and welded in place and the bent baffle has been welded back in place.  Now we just need to take care of the rfest of the rust damage.  I did a lot of welding Saturday including the modifications I did to our parts washer so we can support the pieces that need washing that are to long to lay down.

If all goes well I'm hoping to get both the locomotive and hood outside so they can be pressure washed in preparation for priming.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2015, 02:18:53 AM »
50 years of had work has taken it's toll on this little locomotive.  There has been many cracks that needed to be welded, brackets straitened and that 50 years of crud buildup that needed to be removed.  All that work has gotten us to a point were we could get the fist part of the heavy priming done.  It's amazing how much of a difference just a coat of primer can make.

Much more priming to do once we get more of the prepping done but it's a start.

Bill

Offline pdkoester

• Brakeman
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2015, 06:33:20 PM »
is that last one the air compressor?   ???

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2015, 12:18:00 AM »
Yes that is.  It's one of 2.  Each prime mover has a main generator, auxiliary generator and air compressor.  Each prime mover/main generator set only powers the truck directly beneath it.  Each auxiliary generator is two generators in one.  Half gives power to the field windings on it's accompanying main generator and the other half of both send their power to the battery charging circuit through a balancing regulator.  Then of course both compressors feed the air system.

Bill

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2015, 07:52:46 PM »
I apologize for the lack of updates here but I've been busy with many other things.

With the exception of a couple broken hood vent hinges all the rust and crack damage to the hood has been repaired.

Before.

After.

A few weeks ago we finally got to a point to start the disassembly of the number 1 engine.  This engine had been run with no oil at some point towards the end of its career and it shows.

This was the first time out of the hundreds of engines I've worked on through the years that I got a aluminum dust shower while taking the rod bearing caps off.  There was enough bearing clearance that I could measure it with a rule.  We haven't gotten the crank shaft out yet but I suspect it's going to be the same way.

Outside the bearing issues the disassembly is going well.

Now the best part.

These connecting rods will not go through the cylinder lines so they need to be removed by coming out the bottom.  The museum that gave us the 146 obviously did not realize this when they started taking apart this engine.  From the look of it they gave up when they realized it wasn't going to be as easy as they thought.  Now with that bend and twist in that rod it is physically impossible for the connecting rod to bolt to the crankshaft.  That means that damage happened after the rod was taken loose.  I highly suspect  that when they went to move the 146 on the other engine someone hit the wrong starter button.  It must have made one hell of a clank when it hit.

Bill

Offline 007007

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • do not listen to 007007
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2015, 02:48:22 AM »
I would have so many leftover parts once it's back together...  :blob:

[11:09:03 AM | Edited 11:09:12 AM] Justin C: that terrible moment when you can smell your own balls

"Endless SchwimpFest...ate 100 schwimps...ordered extra biscuits..."