Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AWVR Locomotive Decision  (Read 4488 times)

Offline TheRailfan98

• Brakeman
  • Rio Grande & Pacific Railway
AWVR Locomotive Decision
« on: July 19, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
Hi everyone, I would like your opinions on this topic. I am thinking pf getting either an Athearn AC4400 (CP 9751 w/plow striping) or an Intermountain ES44. Now I want to paint whichever one I get into the AWVR paint scheme from the movie Unstoppable. I need all your help to decide which one to make. If you all think I should use the AC4400, I will make Triple 7. If you all decide I should do the ES44, I will make a fictional GEVO, number 7799. i would like your opinions on this. Also, If in the end it ends up being the GEVO, should it be 777's shceme ( red with the yellow stripe), or 767's scheme (red and black with the yelloe stripe)? Thanks :)

-Brandon  :headspin:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:17:15 PM by brandon98 »

Offline KiwiRail

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Formerly known as Rugrat
    • Scale Impaired
Re: AWVR Locomotive Decision
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 09:33:36 PM »

As much as they are both blatant rip-offs of warbonnet, 777 is at least tolerable.

SKIPPY

Offline The Foos

• Engineer
  • "Respect my authoritah!"
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:42:52 AM »
In regards to purchasing either the Athearn or Intermountain I would say get the ES44.  The price of the Athearn is about $150 (when I bought mine they cost about $100) and Interountain is about $180 (non sound, DC).  For the extra $30 the Intermountain unit has better details out of the box than the Athearn and from what I've read, would be a better puller.  My biggest issue with my Athearn AC4400 were the ditch lights.  They were located in the wrong place, looked terrible and didn't work.  Plus it wasn't the greatest puller in my small fleet but that didn't bother me that much, gave me a legitimate reason to use more locos on a train.  For the most part I've heard good things about the Intermountain gevos although I do not own any nor have I ever seen any run personally.  Just my 2 cents.
Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.

Offline ryanstrains

• Official Vaporware Terminator
  • Road Foreman
  • In Dillon we Trust
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 02:41:16 AM »
In regards to purchasing either the Athearn or Intermountain I would say get the ES44.  The price of the Athearn is about $150 (when I bought mine they cost about $100) and Interountain is about $180 (non sound, DC).  For the extra $30 the Intermountain unit has better details out of the box than the Athearn and from what I've read, would be a better puller.  My biggest issue with my Athearn AC4400 were the ditch lights.  They were located in the wrong place, looked terrible and didn't work.  Plus it wasn't the greatest puller in my small fleet but that didn't bother me that much, gave me a legitimate reason to use more locos on a train.  For the most part I've heard good things about the Intermountain gevos although I do not own any nor have I ever seen any run personally.  Just my 2 cents.
The IMRC unit has a DCC decoder in it already and you can find it for apx $130 at a hobbyshop so I'd get that.

Visit Southern Atlantic Industries at http://www.saxrt.com
Quote from: Mike Cyr
[7:35:11 PM] Mike Cyr: hi LOL lets have unprotected sex lol

Offline The Foos

• Engineer
  • "Respect my authoritah!"
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 06:01:33 AM »
The IMRC unit has a DCC decoder in it already and you can find it for apx $130 at a hobbyshop so I'd get that.

This is true, thank you for correcting me.  I misinterpreted the product description provided by IMRC.  To clarify the cheaper model is equipped with a decoder that can operate on either DC or DCC while the more expensive model includes a SoundTraxx decoder.  I stand by my original suggestion.
Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.

Offline TheRailfan98

• Brakeman
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 03:52:32 PM »
Hey thanks guys for your opinions. i am kinda leaning toward the ES44 because the AWVR Scheme looks cool on the GEVO. A train show is coming up in September so I'll look there for an ES44. Usually you get good deals at train shows. The last one I went to I got a $150 loco for $20  :smirk: Anyway thanks for your opinions. :)

Thanks, Brandon  :P

Offline TheRailfan98

• Brakeman
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 05:28:56 PM »
As much as they are both blatant rip-offs of warbonnet,

So DON'T paint them like this?  :yay: :kablamo:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:20:49 PM by brandon98 »