Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Check out my new rail toy. (warning large pics.)  (Read 9977 times)

Offline dylanviey

• Trainmaster
Check out my new rail toy. (warning large pics.)
« on: July 29, 2013, 11:40:58 PM »
I made a down payment yesterday on a Fairmount A car. She's seen better days and has had a run in with some vandals but she runs great just needs some rear differential work. Nothing to hard or expensive (sadly the windows will be the most expensive thing to fix)

You have to really be trying to kill one of these engines.

It's history is Ex US steel, then was sold to the New hope steam railway. Shortly after they became the New Hope & ivyland we know today they sold it to private ownership then i bought it from that owner.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:57:40 PM by dylanviey »

^ i play trainz a little to much. lol

Offline s-driver

• Fixing your own mistakes means job security.
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Hacking up hairballs since 1965.
Re: Check out my new rail toy. (warning large pics.)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 01:09:06 AM »
Neat toy.  Lets take it for a spin.

Bill

Offline dylanviey

• Trainmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 09:17:48 PM »
i got an old photo of my speeder given to me by a friend. Also the speeder as of Saturday night is in baer train yard on the BDRV and will remain there until i fix up my speeder trailer or the railroads speeder trailer.

Offline dylanviey

• Trainmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 01:18:47 AM »
I was bored so i decided to draw out my concept for how i want the speeder to look when i'm done.

What dose everyone think? This is just my first concept. I have a couple more ideas.

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:01:32 AM »
Are you thinking of that bright of a yellow color?  You won't miss seeing it that's for sure.  Lets see some of your other ideas.

Bill

Offline DHayward

• Dispatcher
  • Still Your Friendly Neighborhood Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 04:29:37 PM »
I like any idea, and ultimately it boils down to what you want, Dylan. I think the same concept would be cool if you replaced the yellow with a nice blue, and the black with white.

Again, my opinion is dirt. I'd probably tell you to pound sand if you told me to change the color of my house, my car, my cat, etc., but that isn't the point. Regardless of what the color or scheme, I cant wait to see the finished product. I like monitoring threads such as this and Bill's ongoing restoration of the 44 Tonner.

Hats off to you, sir.
It's what's for lunch.

Offline dylanviey

• Trainmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 11:24:40 PM »
Ya someone suggested a like john deere Green like all the rest of the MOW equipment we have. I like safety yellow the best looks more like a work vehicle and is easier to notice at crossing (idk how many's times i almost got sideswiped at a railroad crossing or the couple of spots where we do "street running")

Anyway here's some photos of the engine. I went over it with a fine tooth comb Fixed all the oil leaks, new belts, a new water pump and a nice de-greasing and new coat of paint.

Excuse the crappy quality of my cell phone. Next is the trans and drive trans. (the pumpkin is no longer attached to the car)

Offline dylanviey

• Trainmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 12:05:50 AM »
Here's a video i took a while ago when i first fired the engine up after replacing the water pump. It sounds great. (sorry for the crappy video though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFd-a0BYdwc&feature=em-upload_owner

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 01:08:24 AM »
YAAAAAAAAY!  It runs.  Well, the engine looks good anyway.

Bill

Offline dylanviey

• Trainmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 01:49:14 AM »
Yup while i had everything apart i wanted to go over everything (why take it apart to take it apart again?) Hopefully i will have the rear axle finished by spring and can take it for a test run on the railroad soon. It kinda spudders when you throttle up I was wondering if that's just because the engine hasn't ran in 10 years and was still cold at the time of the film or if there was something wrong. I also wonder how it will act when it's under load. Right now the drive shaft isn't even attached and the rear axle is sitting on a stack of pallets next to the engine shop. Other then that the engine runs perfectly.

On a side note i just though of this while i was writing the response.  :knowitall: it may of been because it was charging the vacuum brakes. The brakes pull off of the vacuum of the engine and i think it could effect the engine a little if there's a heavy draw off of the vacuum.

Offline dylanviey

• Trainmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 01:44:29 AM »
Yes very nice indeed.  :cheers:

I wanted a project speeder and Alex introduced me to his Brother-in-law who was looking to sell his. It turned out to be the perfect buy. Wish I could have spent a little less on the initial buy but it was still a fair price. I wanted a project speeder something that needed a little bit of work to get running but wasn't totally completely shot. The biggest issue is the rear axle and the most expensive issue is the windows.

Iím hoping to have it together enough to take it out on the railroad in spring early summer and do a quick run up and down the line to test how well everything works. It all depends on what the valve of progress called a wallet dose. (luckily I donít have a back-up 2nd valve called a wife :badumtish:)

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 02:24:20 AM »
If it's been 10 years since it ran last there is a good possibility there is a varnish buildup partially blocking some ports or jets in the carburetor.  It's been many many years since I last went through a carburetor like that so I can't remember what all is inside it.

Bill

Offline dylanviey

• Trainmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 03:13:32 PM »
The carp was completely re-built by the previous owner. Also has new spark plugs wires and distributor cap. It was part of the deal of me buying it. He wanted $1500 and the speeder didn't run and the rear axle was completely destroyed and needs rebuilding. It was basically scrap metal. If i was to spend that kinda money on a project speeder I wanted at lease the engine to be running. When he first started to run it it wouldn't fire had no spark to the plugs and the starter was frozen. Him doing that gave me a good base to fine the rest of the issues with the engine.

Offline s-driver

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »
Then again if the engine is cold it could run that way until it's up to operating temps.  If it's at operating temperature and still does that there would be a carberation or ignition problem.

Bill

Offline dylanviey

• Trainmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »
I know someone told me that this engine likes  to burn fuel a little rich. I guess i'll find out when i take it for a test run in spring. I started last night dismantling the rear drive axle. My goal is to have it running in the spring.