Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Check out my new rail toy. (warning large pics.)  (Read 9412 times)

Offline dylanviey

• Trainmaster
Re: Check out my new rail toy. (warning large pics.)
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 02:48:38 AM »
Here's some photos i took today after i took apart the drive shaft bearing housing. So far things are looking pretty good. I'm amazed the bearings are made by Timken. The same company that makes the bearings in our passenger cars. I would of expected them to use some off the shelf bearings from the automotive industry. At lease i probably don't need to worry about them going bad any time soon.

^ i play trainz a little to much. lol

Offline s-driver

• Fixing your own mistakes means job security.
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Hacking up hairballs since 1965.
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 11:43:34 AM »
It doesn't surprise me at all.  Timken has been providing bushings and bearings of various types for the railroad, industrial, trucking and automotive industries forever.  I think I would have been surprised if it DIDN'T have Timken bearings in it.  The big thing is that everything is looking good.  What is the availability of those bearings and seals?

Bill

Offline dylanviey

• Trainmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 10:02:52 PM »
I had someone give me this piece of paper. He recently rebuilt on of these rear ends in a narrow gauge locomotive that had the same exact reversing box. He took notes on every Napa part number he used. As for the availbilty of bearings i have absolutely no clue. I know Timken is still around but i don't know if they still make the same bearings. I suspect they do.

I made damn sure to scan these in to the computer as soon as i got them just in case i lost the paper.

^ i play trainz a little to much. lol