Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Route Building: Scenery hints and tips!  (Read 17458 times)

PPsh-41

Re: Route building hints and tips!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 12:31:31 AM »
Thank you For Tips  :)

haroldatsf

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 01:37:57 PM »
If your doing multiple baseboards...it's best to finish one at a time. Don't do ten things one a baseboard 5 away from where you started cause' then you might have trouble connecting them.

Offline AceArmand12

• Engineer
  • The Thayer Sub!
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 07:56:05 PM »
 Here's a tip for people who have both a desktop computer and a laptop:

If you want to increase your productivity, install Google Earth on the laptop (if you have not already), put the laptop on a side table, or just in your own lap, and use it to view the satellite images if you are using them. I just started doing this for my new route, and now I can work nearly twice as fast. No need to exit Trainz to look at your satellite photos anymore!

Cheers,

-Skylar :)
They don't think it be like it is, but it do

Offline Campbell5149

• Dispatcher
  • Hillbilly CB-36
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 08:56:28 PM »
Grass is not the answer!!!!! use textures. especially with the HD stuff in 09, ground textures is just plain fun! ;)
Josh: WHOSE A GOOD BOY!! WHOSE A GOOD BOY!!?

Sean: ......woof??.....

Offline s-driver

• Fixing your own mistakes means job security.
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Hacking up hairballs since 1965.
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 11:29:13 PM »
I agree with Josh.  If you have a good combination of ground textures then all you need is a little grass to highlight it.  Take a look at gfisher and Dremmy's routes.  Grass spam is the last thing you want.

Bill

Offline saxrt1

• Road Foreman
  • Custom Route Creator-Officially Licensed by CSX
    • Southern Atlantic Transportation
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 12:35:52 PM »
I can attest to what Bill and Josh said. On my very real, very 1:1 scale CSX S-line route, grass has been one of my biggest downfalls. Ease up on the grass and use more textures. Besides, adding these can be so much fun. Also this greatly improves your frame rates. Well it does for me anyway. But then again I'm the who puts locomotives on semi-trailers and equips my fire trucks with hoses and hydrants.

Now if someone could advise on to make vids using FRAPS. Why do I feel a hammer coming down.
Run Eight
Sam

Licensed by CSX Transportation

Offline Isegrinns

• Trainmaster
    • Trainz Forge
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 02:55:34 PM »

Hm, one point which has not been mentioned here:

I think its important that you have an operational goal in mind.

That may be a personal goal, since most people here seem to like eye-candy more than operation and they are very good at that.
For myself, I am trying to get the most out of a route in a way that makes it possible for me to make a huge ammount of sessions for it later.
Like if you want to model a special operation like double tracked helper grades, which allows it to have one train overtaking another, there is no better thing than to do it in Trainz.
Well, except the real thing.

I may not have a huge repertoire of experiences as you old hands have, but for me operation is the main goal. Trainz allows it to have the room for all the things which are nearly impossible to archieve with a model railroad. So why not use it.
For myself, a route could also be without scenery if it can grab my attention when IŽm operating it. Thats why I will work on my current porject with Alex, who is able to make it look pretty!

Cheers, ye all!

More light for the thoughts that I dig
More light in the places I stay
More light on the path that I walk
More light 'round the questions that I bear

Offline RiverRun

• Trainmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 03:32:54 PM »
One thing that makes it difficult is when you are modeling a location or line in the past, and try to figure out what it used to look like when going by satellite pics. Many landmarks didn't exist 30 to 40 years ago, so I've had to do a lot of detective work on my route.
~Randy Earle~

Offline Isegrinns

• Trainmaster
    • Trainz Forge
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 05:37:53 PM »

Yeah...
One way might be all those historical societies which are around in the US.

One day, when IŽm rich and in charge of the whole world, IŽll join the N&W historical society and then IŽll model the N&W in the 50ies from one end to the other. In Trainz 2020...
But first comes world domination, that seems to be an easier goal!

More light for the thoughts that I dig
More light in the places I stay
More light on the path that I walk
More light 'round the questions that I bear

Offline saxrt1

• Road Foreman
  • Custom Route Creator-Officially Licensed by CSX
    • Southern Atlantic Transportation
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 06:07:55 AM »
Finally something I can speak and not sound like a toatl moron or know it all.
When it comes to operation, I have the S-line for both Main line running and operation.  If the user (right now being me) wants to work the Auto terminal at Dixianna,SC then they can depart Cayce yard and work the yard tilll the job is done. Then come back to Cayce and hand the train off to a road crew (AI crew) that takes the train back up north.  Doing this exnesive and can take several hours, same as working the Kodak plant at Carolina Eastman. There are number of areas on the S-LLine at this point that handle entire trains. Yet at the same time if the user wants get out on the main line and drive, that option is available also. While traffic on the S-line is very light and meets are not likely to take place, they do happen.

Now when it comes to historical data, take google earth and live search maps and throw them out the door. Your wasting your time. I will stand by this for as long as I live. Yes google can go back a few years but what if your wanting to re-create the 50s or even earlier.  Here is what I did, and I found out that every University has this and it's free. When back dating Denmark,SC every single search engine came up dry. So I contacted the University of South Carolina. They put me on to their searchable database. Not only was I able to find and print Maps, but I also found pictures of what the down looked as far back as 1898. I setteled on 1923. I was further told by USC staff that every university has this and it's free. So while the NRHS and other historical societies are good, I have found that your University to be best. Yes I even have the guys at SAL/ACL historical society backing me on this.  Most Times depending on the map detail, you can sizes and names of structures. Shoot I was even able the location of water and sewer lines in the streets. Not a big deal unless you want a street repair scene.

Licensed by CSX Transportation

Offline stmsoccer

• Brakeman
  • TrainzPA admin
    • TrainzPA
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »
When you are near completion, always use a base texture and apply it to the whole map, being careful to only overwrite the grid.  This leaves out any chance grid will show.

3d grasses are great for scenery, but have serious impacts on fps. use it close to the tracks and to cover up anything unwanted or near, or even the corners of a building or tree

UP Lover 2705

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2012, 03:44:39 PM »
I know this is a bump but lets keep this thread running!
Hold down CTRL when rotating for a 1/10 angle. So instead of 90.0 you can have 90.3 or 105.8.
In large areas rotate textures for a realistic look.
Use the Straight track tool to make nicer looking curves and junctions.
Lay down track in the direction you want the AI to go.
And last but not least: when putting down fences around tracks, anything within 10 feet of the track is "lineside" so put fences 10 ft or 3 Metres away from the track.