Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Modeling: 3DS Max & Gmax Q & A  (Read 32627 times)

Tyler Bishop

Modeling: 3DS Max & Gmax Q & A
« on: February 04, 2007, 06:29:41 PM »
All tips here are by users and myself.  I will take no credit for any of these tips and if they work they work :D

Q. I have learned how to use the Boolean function to subtract one primitive shape from another, but what is the correct procedure to add one shape to another to create a compound object. Let’s say I have two boxes, #1 and #2. How do I add #2 to #!1 to get the compound shape? (I have kind of done it by accident, fooling around, but I don't actually know the correct procedure.

A. You take box A and right click and go to convert to editable mesh, then in modify tab on the right select attach then click Box B.  That attaches it together.  No need to boolean 2 items together.  Boolean is very sloppy, I try not to use it.

Q. Suppose I have two objects, say two boxes again, how can I lock them together so that I don't move one of them by accident out of it's relationship with the other? And how do I unlock them?

A. Right click and freeze selection, then just do unfreeze all to unfreeze it.

Q. Let's say I have put together a set of forms, such as the front steps to my little house, and that I think that they might be useful in another project, another house. How do I go about saving just them, and then reusing them in another gmax model. ( In Autocad you used “blocks” within a given project and “wblocks” which could be used in any project.)

A.  Just select all the items u want to convert to a chunk.  Group / Group - then go to file / save selected.

Q. OK, so I have selected the group of items, grouped them with the "group"
command and saved them as say "Steps". When I then start another project
, what commands do I use to bring the "Steps" file into the new project?

A. File Merge, Then select the part of the other file you want to merge.

Q. Suppose I want to have smoke coming out of the chimney of
my house. How do I create an attachment point for it?

A. Under modify go to the subsection called helpers (ruler button).  Now select point.  The -Z axis will emit the smoke,  all attachment points must be named A.Whatever enable to be used.  in the config they are just called by whatever {vars}.

Q. If you have two attachment points in your model and they are both labeled "A" in gmax, how does trainz in the config file know which attachment point you want the smoke to go to...wouldn't you end up with smoke at both of them?
Well lets take a locomotive, a steamer. You are going to have a number of different attachment points for different smoke and steam effects eminating from different parts of the model. Then you will have attachments for the corona for the headlight, and for the driver if one is modelled. How do you sort them out if they are all labelled "A"?

A. Example( A.smoke0, A.smoke1, A.balls0 ) The "A." triggers it as being a trainz attachment.

Q. Booleans whats the best way?

A. Boolean tool tends to mess things up when used on a complex shape, however if you detach the polygons you want to modify from the main mesh and then apply the boolean you can get some very smooth results Also when you boolean something.  Apply the smooth modifier with no smoothing to it. This helps the boolean create less vertices's.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:12:19 PM by knifeswitch1 »

Offline 22alpha

• Jointed Rail
  • Global Administrator
  • Dispatcher
  • STOP VAPORWARE!
    • Jointed Rail
Re: Gmax Q & A
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 10:26:49 AM »
Nicey Done Tyler!  This should come in handy.

Mike

Offline gfisher

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 12:03:44 PM »
Especially for me, Mike!  ;)

OK, Tyler, if you have two attachment points in your model and they are both labeled "A" in gmax, how does trainz in the config file know which attachment point you want the smoke to go to...wouldn't you end up with smoke at both of them?

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline gfisher

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 01:30:07 PM »
Well lets take a locomotive, a steamer. You are going to have a number of different attachment points for different smoke and steam effects eminating from different parts of the model. Then you will have attachments for the corona for the headlight, and for the driver if one is modelled. How do you sort them out if they are all labelled "A"?

Tyler Bishop

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 12:26:53 PM »
Ex.
A.smoke0
A.smoke1
A.balls0

The "A." triggers it as being a trainz attachment.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:28:41 PM by Tyler Bishop »

Offline gfisher

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 01:08:31 PM »
Ah, the light is dawning. So when you label the attachment within gmax you call it "A.smoke0" or whatever, and then in the config you refer to the same label.

Offline titaniclover

• Trainmaster
  • I'm Nobody. Nobody is perfect. I'm perfect.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 12:24:07 AM »
ok how do ya do latheing because i dont get that at all. ya know the lathe modifier how do ya use that?
:yay: :boomboomboom: :yay:
GOING, Going, gone...

Tyler Bishop

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 02:06:59 PM »
No George

-Gmax:
A.smoke0
A.nuts

-Config:
Smoke0 {
specs
}

nuts {
specs
}

Titan, Ill Get some screenshots togther for that later tonight.  If I dont post by tomorrow pm me.

Offline gfisher

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 03:18:57 PM »
Gotcha.  :)

Offline gfisher

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 01:23:38 PM »
Q.    Lets say I am making a box shaped object in Gmax and it is to be made of metal, so I want some amount of reflectivity or glossiness to the model when it is textured. In the materials editor, under maps, where I would normally choose "diffuse color", what else should I choose and how do I modify the degree of glossiness?

Tyler Bishop

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 09:02:26 PM »
You need to play with the specular section in gmax and the reflection map material. I use normally 20-30% for reflection and 100% diffuse.  Typically for the reflection map you use a material like this:

Heres a screenie of gmax material editor with those setup.

Tyler Bishop

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 09:03:08 PM »
Best advice is to play with it.  If you still cant figure it out ill go into extreme detail.  Best of luck mr. fisher

Offline gfisher

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 07:08:03 PM »
How do you do a simple fence spine, lets say just a post and two horizontal rails and get the last post to show up and not have two rails hanging out in space, or doubled posts for intermediates? I see that it can be done but can't seem to figure out how. I presume it has something to do with where the pivot point is located in relation to the model in gmax, and the L length set in the config. Can Tyler or anybody else decribe what to do or show me a diagram? I have taken eight to ten shots at it but no winner yet.

Offline titaniclover

• Trainmaster
  • I'm Nobody. Nobody is perfect. I'm perfect.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 08:22:47 PM »
Q: how do you use the Lathe modifier? im stuck on it big time.
:yay: :boomboomboom: :yay:
GOING, Going, gone...

Offline gfisher

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
Don't tell me I've stumped the guru of gmax?   ;D