Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Modeling: 3DS Max & Gmax Q & A  (Read 35937 times)

jivebunny

Re: Gmax Q & A
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2007, 09:35:05 AM »
I find with gmax the boolean tool tends to mess things up when used on a complex shape, however if you detach the polygons you want to modify from the main mesh and then apply the boolean you can get some very smooth results - I certainly wouldn't call it garbage!

JB

Offline gfisher

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2007, 09:48:42 AM »
Here's a simple (I hope) beginner's question for you guys. I have made a box in gmax and converted it to an editable mesh. I know how to add a chamfer to selected edges, but how would I add a radius or curve to the edge. I know I can go back and chamfer and then chamfer again, but that seems rather crude. Isn't there a tool that just allows you to pick a radius and the number of planes forming the radius?

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline mjolnir

• Engineer
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2007, 01:00:29 PM »
Ordinarily I try to verify things like this before I venture and answer, but I'm away from my Gmax computer at the moment. I think what you want is a subsurf(ace) modifier.

ns
M.U.T.O.T.T.

Offline gfisher

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2007, 07:01:45 PM »
OK......................................that leads to the question, what the heck is a "subsurf(ace) modifier" and where would I find the little devil?

Offline s-driver

• Fixing your own mistakes means job security.
  • Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Hacking up hairballs since 1965.
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2007, 08:26:18 PM »
When working with any graphics program (to my knowledge) they don't make a true radius.They are a series of flat surfaces at progressive angles to each other. You see that when you chamfer the edges. A method that you could use  instead of chamfering is to use part of a cylinder to make your radius. Phil's tutorial on radius edges gives the basics for it. you can get that here--> http://www.worldoftrainz.com/Pages/TutorialsTRS/GmaxRadiusEdgeTutTRS.htm unless you already have it. It gives the three basic methods. There are other ways but each creator finds what works best for them after a while. ;)

Bill

Offline gfisher

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2007, 09:24:56 PM »
Thanks, Bill. I guess it isn't simple after all. That tutorial is a help.

nwhitney

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 05:22:59 PM »
I've got a problem with my Barnhart loader that hopefully someone can help. I originally had the log on the side and the house of the loader swung 90 degrees then picked up the log. I decided to move the log and dummy to the front, then linked it to the house, thinking it would be easier to animate. In gmax the animation plays correctly, but when exported, the log is still off to the side. I've tried redo-ing the animation from the start, unlinked both the log and dummy, moved them away, then back, re-linking, aligning to world, but still can't get the log to move to the front. It goes up and down with the hook fine, but 90 degrees off. Does any of this make sense? It's driving me nuts, and I hope someone can help. Thanks
Norm

Tyler Bishop

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 05:35:51 PM »
Did you re-export your anim.kin or whatever its called... sometimes you have to redo the 'bones' from top view and reanimate if you move them.  Or reset there xform several times.  I whent through hell on the 2-8-2... I know all about trainz and bitchy animation.

nwhitney

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 05:42:34 PM »
Thanks Tyler, I'll try resetting Xforms. I've done it last year, but can't remember what I did.
Norm

Offline gfisher

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 05:17:52 PM »
Here's two new questions for the Gmax gurus:

Gmax normally shows four viewports, one of them being a rendered perspective. As you begin to get up there with the polys, things start to slow down as Gmax tries to render all four views. If you hit the W key, the selected viewport will enlarge to one full viewport, which allows you to move things around more easily as Gmax is just rendering the one view. Is there a way with a keystroke command or something that allows you to cycle through the four viewports in full screen mode? I know you can right click on the viewport label and select another view, but that is more time consuming.

Right now I am doing some new roads. When I texture the mesh with my road texture file I then go back to the parent and select my alpha graphic and, selecting opacity, apply the texture to the mesh. This works just fine in the final product in Trainz, but it leaves me looking at the alpha texture in gmax. Is there a way to flip back and forth between visible textures when two are applied to the same area of mesh?

Offline tommyg

• Road Foreman
  • The Australian
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2008, 08:34:44 AM »
For your first question, the commands are as follows:
Top View - T
Front View - F
Left View - L
Perspective User View - P

Second question I wouldn't have a clue about :P

Sorry for the late reply, hope it still helps though ;)

Tom :)

RailKevin

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2009, 04:44:07 PM »
I have a gmax newbie question.  What is the difference between an editable poly versus an editable mesh?  I want to specialize in creating buildings, and I wonder if there is a correct way to do that (poly or mesh, or if it even matters).

Offline dylanviey

• Trainmaster
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2009, 06:45:34 PM »
I have a gmax newbie question.  What is the difference between an editable poly versus an editable mesh?  I want to specialize in creating buildings, and I wonder if there is a correct way to do that (poly or mesh, or if it even matters).

Editable mesh is easier to learn on but editable poly is better once you get experience and know how all the tools work. (if your going to use the cut and slice tool always do it in editable poly takes the step of trimming all the extra polys out. Also editable mesh gives you a exact poly count where editable poly doesn't.

while your making something your probably going to switch between the 2 modes multiple times but general editable poly is better.

^ i play trainz a little to much. lol

Offline CSX4527

• Brakeman
  • 1006 MBTA
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2010, 05:41:05 PM »
I was wondering how to move Light Coronas on a Engine...Is this possible??? :-\

Offline gfisher

• Forum Moderator
  • Dispatcher
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2010, 06:21:01 PM »
Yes, but only if you have the original Gmax file.